Sunday, January 31, 2016

Click (Music): Shoegrunge Quesadillas, the Heterosexual Female Gaze, Living Forever and Rationale

"Something for Nothing" by Rationale

I watched one of my best friends ever, constantly play the fallback option. The guy she was interested in always had other girls to entertain him. But when he really needed someone to talk to it wasn't those girls that he selected, it was my friend. Unfortunately, as much as I urged her to move on, she never was able to. She finally won the guy, after she passed. In "Something for Nothing" Rationale addresses, in the soulful way that only he can, those people who take but don't give, the ones who want something for nothing.



"Melt" by Pretty City

What do you get when you cross the Jesus and Mary Chain with a quesadilla?

Pretty City's "Melt."

Second place points to those of you that said Napoleon Dynamite with a pocket full of psychocandy.



"False Names" by John Joseph Brill

I have to admit that when I first read the email that accompanied John Joseph Brill's new release “"False Names" I very nearly deleted it. There is something about musicians with three names that turns me off. I think it is because they don't make good music. I can't think of one three named artist that I really liked. On top of that, John and Joseph are pretty normal names. This is also a huge strike because I find people with normal names don't usually do it for me. For some reason, I gave John Joseph a chance and I'll have to admit that I am really glad I did. It is his warm baritone, the lines "We'll go spinning through the neon, winning new friends" and John Joseph's description of the track that won me over. About "False Names" he says "it's a song about a best mate, a tremendous, beautiful, flawed best mate who I wouldn't change for the world and how a mate like that can take you rampaging around a town and make all the darkness and nonsense disappear.”"



"Nobody Lives Forever" by Ula Ruth

When J-Fur hired a chorus of little kids to tell me that I was going to die someday, I found it quite terrifying. What does she mean "someday"? Is she planning something? I couldn't sleep for days. When Ula Ruth does pretty much the same thing (minus the cute little kids) in "Nobody Lives Forever" I find it quite the opposite. "Nobody Lives Forever" is uplifting in a go-ahead-and-eat-three-vegan-cookies-instead-of-two type of way. Don't worry so much about the day-to-day, the end result is still the same. Maybe I wouldn't find the song quite so uplifting if I was in the habit of closing my eyes next to the Ula Ruth band members.



"Baby Boy" by Lincoln Jesser (featuring Yuna)

Ever wonder what happens when you don't take a chance? You inspire a song like "Baby Boy" by Lincoln Jesser which features the fabulous vocals of Yuna. Wasting your days never felt so right.



Remixes:

"I Don't Care" by LANY (Flor Remix)

Flor gave LANY’s “I Don’t Care” the remix treatment. They put in an up-tempo bass line which gives the remix a simultaneously youthful and mature feel. The remix also showcases the vocals of Lany's frontman Paul.




Videos:

"The Last Thing on My Mind" by The Joy Formidable

Tired of all the breasts, asses and vaginas that music videos have been shoveling before your eyes? No...well, um, this video probably isn't for you then. But if you are someone who wants to see the tables turned, check out the video for "The Last Thing on My Mind" by the Joy Formidable. Since the song is about freedom, feeling alive and sexual liberation, the band wanted to create a video that sees things from the perspective of a heterosexual female gaze. It is their small attempt at rebalancing the nudity imbalance that exists in music videos. The only weird thing about this whole situation is that all the penises in "The Last Thing on My Mind" are blurred out. I'm not sure that happens in a video where a female is the main character.



"Freak Like a Model" by Uncle Meg

Skeletons swinging golf clubs, eating crackers, reading the newspaper, playing with Barbies, finely slicing up cigarettes for dinner and breaking umbrellas. I don't know whether to laugh or be completely scared by this video.



"True Confessions" by Blondfire

Some music videos add big storylines to help prop them up. "True Confessions" is not one of those. It is a simplistic look at the band members thru a black and white lens. That isn't to say there aren't some moments of production because there are, just that those can be counted on less than two hands. By my tallies there were a few slow motion shots, a split screen or two and some wind blowing through Erica's hair.



Get All of 2016's Click Tracks (when available) in One Spotify Playlist:

No comments:

Post a Comment