Thursday, December 30, 2010

Merry Listmas: The Food

It has been an amazing adventure with food this year. I've come to know many great restaurants, blogs and recipes here are some of my favorites:

Favorite Recipes Created by MeFennel Au Gratin
Grilled Foccacia with Tomato, Pesto and Mozzarella
Potstickers with Edmame and Chili Soy Dressing
Creamy Garlic Hummus
Tofu Cacciatore
Lazy Man Vegan Mu Shu Wraps
Bangin Tempeh Quesadillas
Vegan Meatloaf
Savory Potato, Spinach and Cheese Crepes

Favorite Adapted Recipes
Tofu Piccata
Savory Onion Pie
Pumpkin Sage Balls
Jalapeno Soft Pretzel
Tempeh Miso Cowboy Burger
Eggplant Po' Boys

Favorite Recipes from Other Blogs or Websites
Steamed Buns by Weekly Vegan Menu
Soyrizo Calzone by Go Vegan Meow!
Spinach and Chickpeas by Smitten Kitchen
Blueberry Peach Cobbler by Dinner Party
Conchiglioni al Forno by Tinned Tomatoes
Vegan Sausage from Vegan Dad (I didn't find this recipe until this year)
Pasta Ponza from Foodnetwork.com

Best Band Submitted Recipes
Rocky Reason's Spicy Spinach Peanut Crostini
Oso Negro's Giriami Fish Curry (haven't tried it myself due to the fish but others have liked it)
Wild Moccasin's Fruit Tea Smoothies
Alcoholic Faith Mission's Chicken Chili (again, I've heard)
Terrible Feeling's Roasted Vegetables

Favorite "I shouldn't laugh but I can't help it" Food Blog

Cooking for Assholes

Best Steamed Buns and Salt and Pepper Tofu
China Yuan

Best Chain Burrito
Moe's and Tijuana Flats fail. Chipotle takes the tortilla.

Best Non-Chain Burrito
Senorita Burrito and Raging Burrito were pretty good. But Taco Bus remains the master.

Best Sticky Buns (as long as they are made fresh)
Vanilla Bean Bakery. I wasn't super impressed with a lot of their other foods but the sticky buns are delightful. I've read reviews that they haven't always had fresh baked goods ready for the morning rush. Considering the size of the place, that is not a good thing.

Best Fries
Bricco

Best Tea for someone who hates tea
Kalesia's Pumpkin Spice

Best Rotating Menu
The Refinery

Best Condiment Selection
A tie between Evo's and Mr. Dunderbaks.

Best Pretzel Sticks
International Beer Garten

Best CupcakeI've had some good and bad ones this year. Probably the one that sticks in my head the most is the one from Back in the Day Bakery in Savannah.

Least Favorite Cupcake
Babycakes. Maybe Vegan Treats has spoiled me on vegan desserts but this cupcake wasn't that impressive. It was too dry.

Worst Menu Change

A tie between Rapscallions (who used to have a nice, homemade veggie burger) and Datz (why have you taken the zucchini sticks away)

Vegetarian Restaurant of the Year
Trang Viet. I love this place. I haven't thought every dish on the menu is great, some have been too minimalistic for my taste, but most of the time I am impressed. They have a large selection of foods that can meet most dietary needs. The vegetables and herbs are grown locally and their faux meat is crafted by hand. A monthly Vegan Buffet is held here and it is part of my new year resolutions to attend one. At that point I'll write a full review.

I'll be back with regular posts in 2011. Have a great New Year!

2 comments:

  1. I never got to try Kaleisia's Pumpkin Spice during Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You missed out, I wasn't impressed with their christmas ones.

    ReplyDelete