Sunday, March 28, 2010

Grilled Foccacia with Pesto, Tomato, Spinach and Fresh Mozzarella made from Standard Fare and Mouthful of Snow

Yesterday, outside of my apartment, I saw a wild thing (think gator). Later in the day, I went to see "Where the Wild Things Are" at the Sunset Cinema. I thought the movie was fine but it wasn't anything special, I expected more. My favorite line from the film, which I've already used today, was when KW (one of the wild things) said to Max "I don't want you to go, I'll eat you up, I love you so." Geeky as it may seem I didn't use the line on J-Fur but on the grilled foccacia sandwich I made. Is it a problem when you start talking to your food before you devour it? I may have to see someone about that.


Grilled Foccacia Sandwiches with Pesto, Tomato, Spinach and Fresh Mozzarella
(printable version)

-1 foccacia
-12 spinach leaves, washed
-4 Tbs. pesto
-2 vine ripened tomatoes, sliced thinly
-8 oz fresh mozzarella

1. Separate the top of the foccacia from the bottom. Cut both sides into fourths.

2. On the bottom of each slice spread a tablespoon of pesto and two tomato slices. Cover with fresh mozzarella and top of foccacia.

3. Place the foccacia sandwich on a grill (or grill pan). Grill each side for 3-5 minutes (or until mozzarella is oozing). Serve immediately.

The dish is simple, pretty standard fare. Works well because I have been enjoying Standard Fare a lot recently, especially their song "Dancing" which comes from their album The Noyelle Beat which comes out in album form tomorrow. You can buy "The Noyelle Beat" here.



Standard Fare-Dancing


Another band that has caught my attention is Mouthful of Snow. These Californians are in the process of mixing their first LP The truth hurts, but you would still like to hear it. With a perfect blend of ohhing and ahhing and screaming I have found myself enjoying their early demos. My favorite song, "Sleep on a Dream Canvas" can be downloaded here (along with the rest of their last demo). It should tide you over until their full length is finished.

3 comments:

  1. i saw that a few days ago myself...I liked the feel/colortone/cinematography/whatever that makes the movie 'different.' If that's anything. And the fact that the Things are so much like people we know, and that they take everything so literally. Oh and when KW pulls max out from her inside. That was wild. Oh wait, and how they can punch a tree, and it explodes and makes a perfectly round punch-hole!

    Very nice sandwich too, I must say. Thanks for the recipe; simple and quite tasty (esp. w/the thin tomato slices, mmm). I'd like to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen them movie yet, but I have heard the same reviews from everyone else - that it was ok, but nothing spesh.

    This recipe is everything I love - foccaccia, cheese and pesto. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Jake, easy to make but well worth it and I was wondering the same thing about the hole in the tree.

    I should've talked to you Dionne before having unrealistic hopes for the movie. The experience of seeing it outside under the stars made it a worth it though.

    ReplyDelete