Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tofu Cordon Bleu stuffed with 1986 and The Sweet Serenades

James was a chef in Chicago that I learned a lot from. One night he was feeling appreciative about some of the stuff I had done for him so he made me a Tofu Cordon Bleu. I have dreamt of that dish many times since. It wasn't until last week that I tried to emulate it. While my version is nowhere near as good as the original (or at least my memory of it) J-Fur and I still enjoyed it enough to share.


Tofu Cordon Bleu
(printable version)

-1 block of firm or extra firm tofu
-1/4 teaspoon of salt
-1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
-1/2 cup of Italian breadcrumbs
-6 slices of veggie bacon (I used Morningstar)
-6 slices of low-fat Swiss cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Wrap the tofu in a paper towel and place it on a plate with another plate on top to squeeze out the excess moisture. Squeeze for about an hour.

3. Discard the paper towel. Thinly slice the tofu into matching rectangles (I was able to get six pairs from the block).

4. Line a square baking dish with just enough bread crumbs to cover the bottom. Place six tofu slices (one from each pair) in a single layer on top of the breadcrumbs. Cover each tofu slice with 1/2 a piece of Swiss cheese and 1 slice of veggie bacon (ripped into small pieces). Top with the other slice of tofu and breadcrumbs (to cover).

5. Bake Tofu Cordon Bleu for 35 minutes.

6. Remove from oven and place another half slice of Swiss on top of each Tofu Cordon Bleu. Bake an additional five minutes. Serve with steamed asparagus and mashed cauliflower.

Thinking back I can't remember much about 1986. Was that the year I nearly died from attempting to play hide-n-seek in my grandmother's farm machinery? Not sure. What I didn't almost die from is "Undertow" the name of a track on 1986's new album Everybody is what I think they are (I hate water). With this track 1986 has ensured that I won't forget their band in the same way that I did the year.

1986-Undertow

About a month ago, I didn't know anything about Grey's Anatomy. Fast forward to today and I know one thing about the show, they used "Die Young" from The Sweet Serenades in their March 4th episode.

The Sweet Serenades-Die Young




Update: Since this post, Lostaura has sent me two additional tracks to share. Download them here.

New playlist coming this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I never realized tofu was so versatile, until I came here! Very nice.

    I enjoyed the vid...I'm catching up on as much media content here as I can right now, since my work's network filter doesn't let me see them (grrr). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete