Thursday, October 15, 2009

Salad Days: Apple Cran Walnut with Gorgonzola Dressing. Served with a Double Dagger.

Ever since I can remember I've loved to climb trees. I always viewed it as a challenge to find a way to the top or at least get higher than anyone else. I spent the majority of my childhood climbing a walnut tree that grew in the backyard of my home. There are so many firsts associated with that tree. All of these firsts come flooding back each time I crack open a walnut (or in today's messed up shopping scheme, rip open a bag). Today's recipe, though simple, is the salad of choice for both J-Fur and I. For me, the allure is the aforementioned Walnuts and the Granny Smith apples. I think she likes the Gorgonzola Dressing and the cranberries. Our idea for this salad came from Satchel's Pizza in Gainesville (although ours still doesn't compare).


Apple-Cran Walnut Salad with Gorgonzola Dressing
(printable version)

-two Granny Smith apples cut into slices
-1 1/2 cups of walnuts
-1 1/2 cups of dried cranberries
-1 head of lettuce (green leaf or romaine)
-2 Tbsp. Gorgonzola Dressing (we use Marzetti's Brand)

1. Wash and cut the lettuce into small pieces.

2. Combine lettuce with walnuts and cranberries. Toss.

3. Slice the apple and place on top.

4. Serve in a salad bowl, topping with dressing.

Told you it was very simple, yet it is oh so good.

I've been listening to a lot of Double Dagger lately. They are a post-punk (or a graphicdesigncore) band from Baltimore, Maryland that has been blasting eardrums since 2002. Double Dagger's latest album, More, was released on Thrill Jockey Records back in May. Here is a video for one of the tracks on More called "The Lie/The Truth."



Another Double Dagger song that has been on constant rotation is "The Psychic" (found on Rugged Rubble, 2007). Here is a very live, very raw, version of that song.


I'll be playing Survivor in the wilderness for the next few days. My cooking will consist of potatoes, peanuts, and fruit. I'm excited!

8 comments:

  1. I've got to say, I think I work pretty hard staying on top of current and emerging bands, and you consistently are finding bands I've never heard of. How do you do it? How do you even have the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sound of the salad and double dagger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jacqueline. I read and listen, a lot, Seth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be a great salad for Thanksgiving. I used to be a champion tree climber too!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. Make me some. Salad. Though I've never tried the gorgonzola!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I like gorgonzola but I would definitely love this salad with maybe feta or blue cheese even.

    Have fun playing Survivor!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always have new bands. Love to discover them. And that salad sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmmmm. That's my kinda salad. Gorgonzola is my poison!

    ReplyDelete