Sunday, October 11, 2009

Getting Figgy with it: Pasta and Port O'Brien

A few years ago I was working as an on-air personality at the Revolution 103.7 in Chambersburg, PA. On Saturdays I host an all request show for six hours. Between answering phone calls and loading in music I would snack on fig newtons (or at least the cheap Shur Fine version of them). Those nights were my first experience with figs. A few days ago I experienced them again.

Gorgonzola, Fig and Spinach Pasta

-6 oz Gorgonzola cheese
-1/4 cup of skim milk
-9 oz spinach
-14.5 oz of tri-colored pasta
-10 fresh figs, quartered
-2 Tbs. pine nuts
-Tbs. of Olive oil

1. Cook pasta according to directions on the package.

2. In a frying pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted (about 4 minutes). Add figs and pine nuts. Heat for two minutes.

3. Puree Gorgonzola and skim milk in a food processor until smooth.

4. Combine pasta, spinach and cheese mixture in a bowl. Toss. Serve immediately.

Yesterday I met J-Fur for lunch at a local taco joint. As I waited for my food Beyonce's "Halo" came on the restaurant's loudspeaker. This was my first time hearing the original version (which I didn't enjoy very much). Port O'Brien, a band that has been putting great songs online for the past few months in preparation for their new release Threadbare, recently posted an amazing cover of the song. Here is the video for "Halo" along with two songs off of Threadbare, "My Will is Good" and "Sour Milk, Salt Water:"

Port O'Brien-Halo


Port O'Briend-My Will is Good


Port O'Brien-Sour Milk, Salt Water (live)


Threadbare is out now on TBD Records. You can purchase it here.

4 comments:

  1. What I like about this dish is that it is pack with flavor, good price and also quick to make. Looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that about the only experience I have with figs is of the Newton variety. I like Port O Brien's version better.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same with me - Fig Newtons are my only fig experience, which is odd since I am a major foodie. I better get on it. This recipe sounds like a great intro to eating more fig goodness!

    ReplyDelete