Monday, October 19, 2009

From the Vault: Camp worthy Zucchini Grinders, Social D and the Black Eyed Snakes

I'm going to make this quick because the Phillies are about to take the field and I still haven't run or finished my pumpkin stew. This weekend I went I camping in Ocala National Forest. I had a great time even though we forgot our tent poles, got rained on, and finally met the October air. The coolest part of the trip was that I finally saw a rattlesnake in the wild. Something I cooked up while camping is this easy, cheesy, zucchini grinder.


Campworthy Zucchini Grinders
(printable version)

- 1 Tbs of olive oil
-4 zucchini, sliced into 1 inch circles
-1 onion
-1-24 oz can of tomato sauce
-crushed red pepper to taste
-mozzarella cheese
-sub rolls, toasted

1. Warm the oil in a fire safe pan. Add onion to the pan and cook until soft.

2. Repeat with the zucchini.

3. When the zucchini is soft, add the tomato sauce to the pan and cook until warm.

4. Sprinkle crushed red pepper over the zucchini.

5. Begin filling toasted sub rolls with zucchini. Cover with mozzarella cheese. Wrap the grinder in tin foil and place over the fire. Cook until cheese is melted (about five minutes).

Bob, my co-worker's fiance and chef extraordinaire, did most of the cooking while we were camping. He is a big Social Distortion fan so we listened to them religiously this weekend. Bob plans on including their old school hit "Ball and Chain" on his wedding reception mix. J-Fur and I also included them at our wedding. Here is "Angel Wings" the song we did our second dance to.



The Black Eyed Snakes are a band from Duluth, Minnesota. They are straight up rock and roll and a side project for Low's Guitarist/Vocalist Alex Sparhawk. Here is their song "Chickenbone George."


5 comments:

  1. That's pretty fancy eats for a camping trip! Can't believe you got close enough to a rattlesnake to take a picture!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Zucchini Grinder huh? Cool. I'd love it. I wonder where the Grinder part of the name comes in. And I miss camping. I hope to go soon. Been a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grinder sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your team winning the NLC! Hope they beat the Yankees!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karine. Thrifty...I have no doubt they will take it to the New Yorkers.

    ReplyDelete