Saturday, April 9, 2016

Click (Music): Eating Petals, Cape Cub, People Singing Into Walls and Constant Crushes from Verite

"Spools" by Tuft

My nostrils have been jammed up for the better part of two weeks. In the winter, not a big deal, but now that it is spring time and all the flowers are in full bloom, I'm feeling it. No matter how hard I try, I can't catch a whiff. So I've resorted to the "Spools" method of smelling flowers. That is I pick the flowers and eat the petals in order to get the feel for how they might've smelled. I must be a little less advanced than some people because even with tasting, I can't smell s***.



"The Start" by Cape Cub

Speaking of flowers, Cape Cub "The Start" is about the naivety of looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses. That's not a pitfall I typically find myself stuck in. I attribute this to my glasses having more of a quasi-industrial tint to them. Everything looks like dirty moths and mortared brick.



"Mama's Gonna Get You" by WASI

When my mama moved away from the house I grew up in, she missed the memories and the marks we left on the walls. She also missed her strawberry plants. She couldn't go back late at night to steal the memories or the marks, but she could dig up those damn berries. So she did, or at least as many as she could feasibly get away with. Perhaps WASI's "Mama's Gonna Get You" has nothing to do with midnight strawberry stealing but when I hear that chorus, that's immediately where my mind goes.



"Constant Crush" by Verite

Verite's Living EP has come out of the gate crushing it like Trevor Story. First it was "Underdressed" that got the ginger beard treatment. Now it is "Constant Crush." Keep your eyes open folks or before you know it, this EP will be rewriting history. Now if only it could throw a slider...



Remixes:

"Lost" by Connor Phillips (Young Bombs Remix) 

Young Bombs goal with this track was to display the vulnerability and capture the sound of being lost in the woods and getting mauled by a bear. I've been there, done that and it sounds almost exactly like this. Well, there is a lot more screaming.

  


Videos:

"Neverending" by Little Coyote

This video is exactly like The Wizard of Oz only with more tattoos, facepaint and weird hats.



"Connect" by My Gold Mask

The video for "Connect" brings to the forefront a question that I've found myself pondering more and more as I've gotten older. Do people actually sing into their walls? I can say with absolute certainty that I have never done this. But like once a week I see someone in a video doing it. Actually happen or is it simply a case of fiction being stranger than truth?



"Reckless" by Lowla

When I think "Reckless" my first thought is, and always has been, talking into a hamburger shaped phone. Nothing says I'm being reckless more than that.



"Don't Let Me Down" by The Chainsmokers featuring Daya

My aunt warned me, be wary of people wearing Metallica t-shirts. While I don't pin my worst years solely on not heeding that advice, I would say that had a lot to do with it.



"Eyes On You" by Veruca Salt

I wasn't a big Veruca Salt fan during their first go round. But I did appreciate Nina Gordon's cover of "Straight Outta Compton." That's why I gave this video a whirl. While the wasn't enough cultural appropriation for me, I did dance a little.




Get All of 2016's Click Tracks (when available) in One Spotify Playlist:

No comments:

Post a Comment