Sunday, June 14, 2015

Click (Music): Blending Old Hardships with the Modern Struggle, Throwing It All Away and 40oz. On Repeat

Another week, another batch of songs and videos that make my birthing classes oh so tolerable (no we aren't having another child, I have just been court ordered to attend birthing classes for the next two months).

Tracks:

"Old Dollar" by Fine Animal

"They tell us the story of the slave gang, the sharecropper system, the lawless work camp, the chain gang, the pen." --Alan Lomax

"Old Dollar" by Fine Animal is a track that was largely inspired by a sampled recording of "Old Dollar Mamie" recorded in 1947 at the Lambert Camp at the Mississippi State Penitentiary. The band loved that the song belonged not to one author or individual, but rather to spirit and tradition. In their interpretation of "Old Dollar", Fine Animal attempts to intertwine the spirit of the old recording with some contemporary sounds. Blending the old and the new, the hardships of the past with the "modern struggle."



"Ricochet" by guns

Ricochet was born in Norway at the hands of a pop songstress. Its birth took place in an Ice Cream Cathedral. Thank God this was the kind of Cathedral that embraced its violent past and allowed guns on the premise. Otherwise the beauty that currently radiates from my speakers might not exist.



"Never Give In" by Mackintosh Braun

If you are an avid television watcher, you've probably heard Mackintosh Braun before. You just might not have ever heard of them. I'm here to change that. This Portland duo's music has appeared on an extensive amount of television shows. We are talking about Grey's Anatomy, Gossip Girl, Chuck, Rubicon and How to Make it In America. And last year, around the time that Veronica Mars asks Dick about the night Susan died in the Veronica Mars Movie, Mackintosh Braun was playing in the background. Its time to make these guys someone you've heard of.




"Hello World" by E'Clat

E'Clat's "Hello World" replaced the annoying buzz on my alarm clock. Now I embrace waking up in the morning instead of fighting it.



"Atomic Dove" by Crusoe

A few years back, I was one of the top rated gamers on the multiplayer cell phone game Atomic Dove. And that was with my flip phone. I often wonder how many world championships I might've won had I actually had a real gaming cell phone. Not sure if Crusoe's new single is an ode to that video game but I'm currently pretending it is.



Remix:

"Hard Time" by Seinabo Sey (Kretsen Remix)

Kretsen is a hard dude to find anything about. An internet search just brings a bunch of dead ends and wild goose chases.  I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that my childhood doctor's name is Kretsen. Could he have become the world's first eighty year old DJ and he wants to keep it on the down low so his friends at the bingo parlor don't start asking him to support their gambling habits? Seems as likely a story as any. Any the who, congrats Doc, you've killed it with this remix of Seinabo Sey.



Video:

"40oz. On Repeat" by Fidlar

You might think I don't have much in common with Fidlar. I don't use beer to talk to others, I do have someone at my side, I've eaten from no less than six silver spoons so I've got money stored away in Applebee's stocks. But even someone in my position has bad days. And when I'm lying in bed with a pounding migraine because my Applebee's stocks have allowed me to buy way more Brazil nuts than my body can physically handle, I turn on "40oz. On Repeat" and my problems seem to melt away.



"Throw It All Away" by Well Hung Heart

It wasn't until Well Hung Heart came around that my work with the ladies improved. I used the phrase "well hung heart" in numerous different pick up lines. It was always successful. So for that, I am indebted to this band. I can't help but feel that the band's new track, "Throw It All Away", is a big f you response from a number of the ladies that I used the "well hung heart" line on.



"Hard Time" by Seinabo Sey (Kretsen Remix)

I don't know much about art but this video makes me think a lot about Andy Warhol. I could be spot on or that connection could be the equivalent of my friend playing Cranium, humming the theme from Mission Impossible (when he was supposed to be humming the theme from James Bond) and his partner shouting out "The theme from James Bond".



Get All of 2015's Click Tracks (when available) in One Spotify Playlist:

No comments:

Post a Comment