Sunday, June 14, 2015

Click (Food): Vegan Teslas, Beyonce's Indecision, Sunflower Seeds Posing as Risotto and Ben & Jerry's Dairy Free Experiments






So Beyonce can't decide if she is vegan or not, Tesla is getting some heat about replacing their leather interiors with the faux version, Ben & Jerry's is working on a coconut or almond milk based ice cream and you can kill someone with a swarm of angry bees and bananas? Here's some other food related matters that caught my eye this week:



Happenings:

Recipes:

Homemade Chocolate Nut Butter from Tinned Tomatoes

That cheapo store brand version of Nutella that I buy has milk in it. There's no biscotti dipping for me. Even the regular version of Nutella isn't vegan friendly. But Tinned Tomatoes version is. I already made a throat slashing gesture and told the bunch of bananas on my counter that they are about to get what's coming to them. They called back at me and said they would be under the beehive located on our porch. 

Sunflower Seed Risotto by My New Roots

Sarah, of My New Roots, replaced rice in her risotto with sunflower seeds. Where did she get the idea? A woman in Amsterdam. Sarah suggests that this idea sounded a bit "bizarre" at first. I'm not sure I could've stopped myself from responding "Are you high?" if someone brought that idea to me as I was teaching cooking classes in Amsterdam. I guess that is why my cooking classes are relegated to elementary schools in the deep south. 

Vanilla Macadamia Cheesecake from Neurotic Mommy

This cheesecake comes from Jennifer Rose of Neurotic Mommy. She started her blog because she worried about what she was feeding her kids. She reduced the amount of GMO's in her family's diet and learned how to eat organic on a budget. Good for her. I know a certain neurotic father who went the other route and fed his kids nothing but boxed meals. The current reality isn't a pretty one.

Green Chili Veggie Burgers from Minimalist Baker

I have a certain bit of amnesia when it comes to veggie burgers. I have to, otherwise I would quit trying. Every new version I come across looks better than the last and I just think, this one is the one that will hold up under the pressures of a bun and not wind up needing to be eaten by a fork. And disappointment ensues. This will be my next foray, crossing my green chilis that this will be the one.

Vegan Peach, Cherry and Blueberry Crumble from Healthy Nibbles and Bits

Crumbles with one fruit in them are so awesome. Healthy Nibbles and Bits says yeah, one fruit crumbles are pretty good. But three fruit crumbles are even better. I'm convinced.  

No comments:

Post a Comment