Friday, June 17, 2011

The Birth of a Focaccia Slut as Evidenced by StereoHeroes and Battle Ave.

For years I've been visiting blogs, reading their recipes for focaccia, and posting something generic like "looks good, I can't wait to finally make my own." Then I'd go back to my kitchen, get sidetracked on something else, and continue being a homemade focaccia virgin. About a week ago I finally was inspired enough to dive in and make my own. It is all thanks to Mary at One Perfect Bite. Something about her Cheddar Cheese and Olive version said 'come on baby, quit putting it off and do it now.' The final product was a wonderful blend of vegetables, spices and bread that tasted so much better than the store bought versions and had me instantly asking myself 'what took so long to give into those carnal food desires.' The only thing I worry about going forward is that I might start falling victim to this bread's lusting easier and easier. I'm not sure I can handle the whispers that are bound to follow me in the hallways (how does one combat being called a Focaccia slut...)

I followed Mary's recipe exactly.

The StereoHeroes describe themselves in four words: French dancefloor ass kickers. Nothing could be closer to the truth. The StereoHeroes don't just make dance music, they make dance music that is violent and in your face, the kind that isn't afraid to punch you if your put your hands on its girl or spill its drink. "Wild Child" comes from their new album, Exiles, which is out now on German label Freakz Me Out. I beg you to be careful while you listen.


Battle Ave. is an indie rock band from upstate New York that writes songs that are equally ambitious and sloppy, emotional and barren. They remind me of a slightly cleaner, more mountainish Titus Andronicus (which might not be accidental considering their new album War Paint was produced, mastered, mixed and engineered by Kevin McMahon who also has worked with Titus Andronicus). On the whole War Paint has some ups and downs, inconsistencies which is to be expected from a debut full-length. As the band continues to evolve I think these will be fleshed out. No track demonstrates the highs of War Paint as much as "Oh Other, Your Brother."


No comments:

Post a Comment