Saturday, April 23, 2011

French Fry Po' Boy Slathered over The Distant Sounds, Betty Airs and Poly Styrene

My co-worker Caylee and I were having a conversation a few weeks ago and I told her that "I run so I can eat." We both had a laugh about that. While this statement was a joke there was some truth behind it. I don't necessarily run so I can eat but I pay a lot less attention to what I eat because of the miles I log. To illustrate this, I downed two French Fry Po' Boys yesterday and thought nothing of it.

It seems on my trip to New Orleans I missed one of their most intriguing Po' Boys, a french fry and gravy topped version. It wasn't until Vegan Crunk mentioned it in a post that I realized such a thing exists. Seems like you can get them here. I had to try it out for myself, even if it wasn't absolutely authentic (which considering the gravy I probably couldn't do anyways).


Vegan French Fry Po' Boy
(printable recipe)

-4 potatoes, julienned
-olive oil
-salt
-pepper
-garlic powder
-onion powder
-paprika
-vegan gravy
-4 hoagie rolls

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash and slice the potatoes (I used a mandoline this time but normally make them steak cut).

2. In a metal bowl mix the olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika (I don't measure these, I just play around with the taste). Place the potatoes in the bowl and flip around with your hand until they are all covered with spices and oil.

3. Dump the fries onto a baking sheet. Place in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side. Continue until fries have reached desired crispiness.

4. While the fries are baking, make the gravy.

5. Toast the hoagie rolls. Top with french fries and gravy. Carb your heart out.

When making something of this nature one require music that is fast and full of energy (after all, how else are you going to burn of all those carbs). For me it started with Betty Airs. These guys are a Sydney four piece that knows how to bring it 50's style. March saw the release of their first EP, Creepin' it Real, which you can get at their bandcamp page. "She's the Juan" is their lead singer. Thanks to Triple J Unearthed for bringing them to me.

Betty Airs-She's the Juan

Next it went towards The Distant Sounds who have concocted a foul-mouthed mournful motif that takes place moments after that evil girl tramples on your nut sack. "Mon Amour" is from their new EP Blue Light. Get it for free from their bandcamp page.

The Distant Sounds-Mon Amour (via Swedesplease)

Poly Styrene once led X-Ray Spex. Now she does it on her own as evidenced by "Thrash City." This is her second single released prior to the upcoming Generation Indigo which is due in the US on Tuesday.

Poly Styrene-Thrash City

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a poutine sandwich! But I'm definitely intrigued by this - looks rather tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gained at least a pound reading your post :-). I'm a walker, not a runner. I walk so I can eat - no doubt about it. I hope you've had a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete