Number 36 on the list of 100+ foods you should eat before you die is the Mexican dish huevos rancheros. This literally means "eggs ranch-style" and is generally made with a combination of eggs, corn tortillas, beans, guacamole and tomato salsa. I like the idea of huevos rancheros even though I'm not an egg fan (I rarely eat eggs unless they are baked so deep in a recipe that I can't tell they are there). There's something about the combination of the secondary ingredients that gets me going. When Michael Schafer spoke about Victor's 1959 Cafe, he mentioned huevos rancheros and that old feeling crept over me. How could I make huevos rancheros without the huevos? Tofu? Risotto? Corn meal? Rice pudding? I decided to go with the corn meal.
-2 tsp cumin
-2 tsp coriander
-1/2 tsp chili powder
-pinch cayenne pepper
-1 onion, diced
-2 Tbsp roasted garlic
-15 oz can diced tomatoes
-1 tomato, cubed
-1/2 tsp salt
-15 oz can pinto beans, drained
-15 oz can black beans, drained
-4 cups vegetable broth
-1 cup corn meal
-1 cup skim milk
-1 large Florida avocado, sliced
1. Heat spices in a large skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about one minute. Add the onion and garlic. Cook in the spices for ten minutes.
2. Add the diced tomatoes and salt. Simmer for five minutes.
3. Combine tomato mixture with the beans. Cook until the beans are warmed all the way through.
4. Bring vegetable broth to a boil. Add the corn meal and heat, stirring constantly, until thickened (about five minutes).
5. Stir in the skim milk and heat five minutes more.
6. Divide the beans into four equal bowls. Spoon the polenta over top. Cover with sliced avocado.
I perused the list of foods to eat down around 400 and something that seemed to be missing was rabbit. All kinds of other meats (cow, dog, gator, ox, moose) appeared on the list but no rabbit. Oh well, plenty of rabbits involved in the music I've been listening too.
Nobunny is Justin Champlin and various other characters. Mainly it is Justin Champlin. And mainly, according to the Tucson Weekly, you should seek him out "if you've never been hugged by a horny drunken muppet." Nobunny has a new album out today on Goner Records. "Live it Up" resides there. Thanks to Stereogum.
Shrag reminds me of another tweed out European band (Los Campesinos!). "Rabbit Kids" is a fun song that has been making rounds for about a year. The video, which is brand new, is just as fun. Love the facial expressions of the man in flannel and the one wearing the doggy shirt. Shrag has a new album, Life! Death! Prizes!, coming October 4th on WIAIWYA. Thanks to Eardrums for placing them on my radar.