Thursday, May 13, 2010

Granny's "Pot Pie" boiled with The Goodnight Loving

I'm not one that longs for meals that grandma used to make. Both of my grandmother's were good cooks in their own respective rights, but they were good at things that no longer appeal to me: turkey and gizzards, pig stomach, scrapple.

J-Fur's grandmother is a different story. Every time we visit PA she makes "Pot Pie" (which is in quotes because I would refer to it as dumplings but when I say that I am quickly corrected) and it is something that J-Fur looks forward to. I pried the recipe from her grandmother's fingers, which was surprisingly easy, and made it. Now I share this comfort food with you.


Granny's Sarcasm Laced "Pot Pie"
(printable version)

-2 cups flour
-1 tsp. salt
-1 egg
-1/4 cup water
-2 potatoes
-2 quarts vegetarian "chicken" broth
-1 yellow onion (optional for garnish)

1. Mix together salt, egg and flour.

2. Add enough water to form a ball of dough that will hold together but not be too sticky (about 1/4 a cup added slowly).

3. Divide the dough into two balls, roll out on a lightly floured surface, and cut into squares.

4. Bring vegetarian "chicken" broth to a boil in a large pot. Slice the potatoes into medium sized pieces and add to the broth. Allow potatoes to cook for a few minutes.

5. Add half of the "pot pie" squares to broth. Stir a few times. Add the other half of pot pie.

6. Cook for 20 minutes. Garnish with raw yellow onions.

When I think grandmothers I think rustic homes on top of dark basements and supper. While it definitely isn't grandmother music, the same ideas are evoked from listening to The Goodnight Loving. These guys were born to be in a basement, hosting supper clubs. While I am a little late to their basement party, I am ahead of their new album, The Goodnight Loving Supper Club (which comes out July 21st on Dirtnap Records). "The Pan" is from that album.

The Goodnight Loving-The Pan

Here is an earlier release, "Dead Fish on the Banks," courtesy of Dusty Medical Records.

The Goodnight Loving-Dead Fish on the Banks

Download additional tracks here.

1 comment: