Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Southern Style Tofu Barbeque basted with Yuck, Jonsi and Lo-Fi-Fnk

J-Fur and I sauntered home from the library last Thursday and were surprised when the smell of grilled onions, peppers and barbeque hit our nostrils. Using our bloodhound scent we tried to discern where it was coming from. To our left kids played lacrosse with no grill anywhere around. On our right was a thai restaurant, an Indian one and an Italian Cafe. Of course there was also a Dominoes...

Wherever the smell came from it inspired me to cook some barbeque tofu which I did this evening. I coupled it with steak cut fries because that is how I like to roll (no pun intended).

Barbeque Tofu
(printable version)

For the tofu:
-1 block of tofu cubed
-1 green pepper sliced finely
-1/2 an onion sliced finely
-olive oil

For the sauce:
-1/2 cup ketchup
-2 Tbls. brown sugar
-2 Tbls. Vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
-1 Tbl. cider vinegar
-1 dash hot pepper sauce (I used Frank's)
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1/4 tsp mustard powder-
-1/4 tsp salt

1. To make the sauce I used the recipe located here.

2. In a frying pan heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add tofu and cook for fifteen minutes (or until tofu starts to turn dark brown on all sides).

3. Add onion and green pepper and cook until onions are translucent and peppers are dark green (about seven minutes). Remove from heat.

4. Add entire batch of barbeque sauce and stir until coated. Turn the heat back on low and cook tofu and sauce for three minutes.

5. Serve on your favorite rolls.

While completely inappropriate for this dish, Yuck is a band I have been enjoying a lot lately. Their song "Automatic" is very subtle and reminds me of being on a raft in the middle of the ocean.

Yuck-Automatic

Jonsi (of Sigur Ros fame) is preparing to release his debut single album Go on April 5th. The first single to be leaked off the album is the beautiful "Boy Lilikoi." Despite what the Groundhog says this single tells me spring will indeed be here soon (of course in Florida it is always spring until the summer).



Lo-Fi-Fnk's
new song "Marching In" grabbed my attention as soon as I came across it on My Old Kentucky Blog. Perhaps it is the dreaminess. More than likely it is the infatuation I have with the New Orleans Saints football team.

Lo-Fi-Fnk-Marching In

4 comments:

  1. this actually makes me want to try tofu! Nice sauce...maybe that scent in the air was a combo of the Indian, Italian, and dominoe's? Or not. either way, it inspired some good looking food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a tofu fan but I would definitely try this, and probably like it too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can get vegetarian Worcestershire sauce - I use Natural Directions Organic.
    Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I used a vegetarian version too. I just looked at my post and realized I didn't write vegetarian worcestershire sauce in the ingredients list. I'm going to have to change that now. Thanks for bringing my attention to it.

    ReplyDelete