J-Fur and I purchased a bunch of bananas at the beginning of last week and then stood by and watched the Florida heat work its magic. Browning and starting to ooze liquid I figured it was time to put them to good use. So I concocted a double batch of vegan banana treats.
My first creation was a banana bread that I had baked years before while living in Chicago. I've experimented with this bread, putting in chocolate chips, cranberries, nuts, and/or raisins at one point or another. J-Fur wasn't feeling very adventurous (or in need of sugar) so she asked that I only include some walnuts. I like this particular recipe because the main ingredient is bananas. The bread actually tastes like banana, something that other banana breads I have tried lack. I also like it because it removes the dairy completely; there is no need to fuss with vegan milks or egg replacers.
Labor Day Vegan Banana Bread
- 5 brown bananas
- 5 brown bananas
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
-1/4 tsp. of cinnamon
-2 pinches of nutmeg
-1.5 tsp of baking powder
-1/2 tsp of baking soda -pinch of salt
-1 tsp of vanilla -2 Tbs. raisins
-2 Tbs. chopped walnuts
1. In a bowl, mash the bananas until there are no chunks left (it should have the appearance of a smooth batter). Add the sugar, vanilla, coconut oil, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
2. In another bowl combine the baking soda, baking powder and flour.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet. Continue to stir until all the powder has been mixed.
4. Add the chopped walnuts and raisins. Stir until they are evenly dispersed in the batter.
5. Pour the batter into a silicone loaf pan (or a lightly oiled aluminum one).
6. Bake at 350 degrees until the bread is browned and a fork or toothpick poked into the center comes out clean (about 40-45 minutes).
Let cool, eat warm, it is all up to you!
This bread pairs nicely with:
Absolut Noise recently posted "Factory" a song from Hammero-Ostersund-Stockholm band Grande Roses. The song is off the album Farm.
Finally, LA indie rockers Silversun Pickups put out a new album this year, Swoon. "It's Nice to Know you Work Alone" comes from it. It's the perfect Labor Day song.