Monday, September 7, 2009

Fruits of Labor, Songs of Labor: Vegan Banana Bread

Happy Labor Day everyone, hope you are enjoying whatever it is that you are doing. I usually play soccer on labor day but this year I abstained in order to run a few miles in the hot Florida heat (ok, ok so I by passed the heat by running in the air-conditioned Florida gym). In my last post I suggested that at some point this long weekend I would be breaking out another ball recipe and fulfilling my b2bbr that I promised my sponsors. Instead I've decided to put installment number two on hold for a few more days in order to celebrate the fruits of my Labor Day labor. Specifically bananas.

J-Fur and I purchased a bunch of bananas at the beginning of last week and then stood by and watched the Florida heat work its magic. Browning and starting to ooze liquid I figured it was time to put them to good use. So I concocted a double batch of vegan banana treats.

My first creation was a banana bread that I had baked years before while living in Chicago. I've experimented with this bread, putting in chocolate chips, cranberries, nuts, and/or raisins at one point or another. J-Fur wasn't feeling very adventurous (or in need of sugar) so she asked that I only include some walnuts. I like this particular recipe because the main ingredient is bananas. The bread actually tastes like banana, something that other banana breads I have tried lack. I also like it because it removes the dairy completely; there is no need to fuss with vegan milks or egg replacers.

Labor Day Vegan Banana Bread
(printable recipe)

- 5 brown bananas
- 1.5 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
-1/4 tsp. of cinnamon
-2 pinches of nutmeg
-1.5 tsp of baking powder
-1/2 tsp of baking soda -pinch of salt
-1 tsp of vanilla -2 Tbs. raisins
-2 Tbs. chopped walnuts

1. In a bowl, mash the bananas until there are no chunks left (it should have the appearance of a smooth batter). Add the sugar, vanilla, coconut oil, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.

2. In another bowl combine the baking soda, baking powder and flour.

3. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet. Continue to stir until all the powder has been mixed.

4. Add the chopped walnuts and raisins. Stir until they are evenly dispersed in the batter.

5. Pour the batter into a silicone loaf pan (or a lightly oiled aluminum one).

6. Bake at 350 degrees until the bread is browned and a fork or toothpick poked into the center comes out clean (about 40-45 minutes).

Let cool, eat warm, it is all up to you!

This bread pairs nicely with:

Absolut Noise recently posted "Factory" a song from Hammero-Ostersund-Stockholm band Grande Roses. The song is off the album Farm.



Finally, LA indie rockers Silversun Pickups put out a new album this year, Swoon. "It's Nice to Know you Work Alone" comes from it. It's the perfect Labor Day song.



5 comments:

  1. Mmm I don't make banana bread nearly often enough! I saw bags of bananas at the market today. Fingers crossed they're still there in the morning because I'm really wanting some of that bread now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm- I was wondering about the frozen banana ice cream thing too. Someone left the suggestion in my comments on a post I had made about bananas. Just as I suspected, it did form ice crystals. Thanks for doing the experimenting for me!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem. If I wasn't a teacher I'd be a scientist so it is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh i love banana bread. I have never made it, but this has inspired me to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A million thanks! I have been wanting a veganized, banana bread recipe!
    Once it cools down, I am making this, fo sho!

    ReplyDelete