Monday, September 7, 2009

Fruits of Labor, Songs of Labor: Cherry Banana Custard




This recipe was inspired by a  blog post that J-Fur emailed me. I've always wanted to make ice cream but most recipes require an ice cream maker. This blogger suggested that ice cream could be made by simply blending bananas. Yeah, right. I didn't buy it. So what did I do? Got out my food processor and gave it a whirl.

I started by tossing five frozen bananas into our food processor and processing away. Five minutes later I had a creamy substance that wasn't quite banana bread batter but wasn't ice cream either. I tasted it. It tasted just like I imagined food processed bananas would taste. I started experimenting. The end result wasn't ice cream, but I enjoyed it in its own right.




Labor Day Cherry Banana Custard

-5 frozen bananas
-30 cherries, pitted
-vegan chocolate syrup

1. Put the bananas in a food processor or blender and puree for five minutes. Put aside.

2. Dice the cherries and combine with the banana mixture (I diced mine in our food processor).

3. For my third step I put the mixture into the freezer overnight. This created a good shape for the custard but it also made for a large number of ice crystals being present. I would suggest, instead, chilling for two hours in the refrigerator.

4. Top with chocolate syrup.

My labor day playlist is made up of four songs, equal parts old and new. I continue to listen religiously to Parts and Labor's release from last year, Receivers, which I heard for the first time in Chicago and blogged about here. This track is called "Little Ones."

Parts and Labor-Little Ones

Also from the oldie but goodie category is one of my favorite political punk outfits, The Pinkerton Thugs. The band disbanded in 2000 and then reunited last year. They have only performed sporadically since reuniting, but I hope to catch them in concert soon. I don't want them to go the way of Showcase Showdown and break up for good before I ever get the chance to see them. "Brighter Day" comes from their 2000 release End of an Era.



No comments:

Post a Comment