Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Devouring Apple Crepes from the Inside Out in the Key of Dead Man's Bones and Bad Veins

Jean Girard: But you have forced me to do this. You are now mocking me and making me look ridiculous. Just say, "I love crepes."
Cal: "You know, just to put this in there, I had a whole mess of crepes this morning. They're just like pancakes, maybe even better."
Ricky Bobby: "Wait, are they the really thin pancakes?"
Cal: "Yeah."
Jean Girard: "Yes they are. They are the really thin pancakes. It's just a French word for them."
Ricky Bobby: "Oh, my god, I love those."
Cal: "Put any syrups you want on them. I'm just saying, think about it."
Ricky Bobby: "They come with cheese sometimes?"
Jean Girard: "Yes, of course, a fromage-crepe."
Ricky Bobby: "Well, why didn't someone yell that right away?"
Jean Girard: "Do you know what's in the crepe suzette?"
Ricky Bobby: "Oh, I love the crepe suzette."
Jean Girard: "With the sugar and lemon juice..."
Ricky Bobby: "Yeah, the sugar and the lemon juice. Sure."
Jean Girard: "Grand Marnier."
Ricky Bobby: "I wish I could crawl into one of those right now. I'd eat my way out from the inside."
Tender Branson: "J-Fur and I did that the other night."

-All quotes (except the last one) from Talledaga Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)

Parisian-style Crepes with Apple Cinnamon Filling
(printable version)

Crepes
-1 and 1/4 Cups of Flour
-1/3 cup sugar
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1 large egg
-1 cup of skim milk
-1 tsp. vanilla extract

Filling
-4 granny smith apples peeled and thinly sliced
-2 tbsp of unsalted butter
-1 tbsp. of sugar
-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
-dash of nutmeg

1. For the Crepes: Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Whisk in skim milk, egg, and then vanilla. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.

2. Remove batter from fridge and whisk in 1/2 cup of water to thin. Lightly grease a nine inch nonstick skillet with canola oil. Heat skillet over medium-high heat.

3. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet. Tilt the pan so that the batter covers the bottom of it. Cook until edges brown and center of batter is dry (about 1 to 2 minutes). Flip. Cook for another minute. Remove the crepe from heat and place on a plate. Repeat.

4. For the filling: Melt butter in a skillet until it begins to foam. Saute the apples turning them over a number of times to ensure that they are covered with butter. Cook until soft and tender (about ten minutes).

5. Add sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to apples. Remove from heat. Spoon filling into the crepes. Top with ice cream if desired. Devour as a dessert or dinner...you choose.

After the mandatory shaking and baking to Marie Laforet's cover of "Paint it Black" by the Rolling Stones I turned on a few newer tracks to enhance my crepe making experience. The first one, "My Bodies a Zombie for You" by Dead Man's Bones (a band that includes actor Ryan Gosling not of Talladega Nights fame), is one that has all the things I love (think zombies and a chorus of children). Yet I am having trouble deciding whether I like the song or not. It certainly is catchy and quotable but is that it? Only time will tell.



Bad Veins debut self-titled album was released last month. One of the tracks on the album,"Gold and Warm," references sunshine, heartbeats, and running. Three things great for the hot Florida Summer (or the hot Florida Kitchen).

Bad Veins-Gold and Warm



6 comments:

  1. Wow! Pretty fancy schmancy! J-Fur and you sure are eating good these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I nominated you for a Super Scribbler Award. Hope you don't mind. You can find out all about it at my blog.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha, love the Taladega Nights quotes.

    I LOVE crepes. I made a crepe cake once from watching the food network. Basically it's a stack of about 30-40 crepes that you put cream between, and then ice all over it. So people don't know it's crepes. Then when you cut into it, you see all the layers and it looks AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look wonderful! I have never made crepes before, but I am going to give this recipe a try this weekend. I love finding a new recipe that I think my son will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't resist crêpes. Love them with bananas and nutella. Those look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dionne-A crepes cake sounds interesting...maybe my next endeavor now that I know crepes aren't as hard as I thought they would be.

    Alea-Glad you found a new one, a lot of people like them with nutella in it so they are very versatile as far as the inside goes.

    Helene-Thank you. I know that at the creperia near us nutella is one of the most popular. I haven't tried it but perhaps I should.

    ReplyDelete