Monday, August 10, 2009

Dan Deacon's Linguine de Versatile

As I sit at O'Hare airport waiting to catch a flight back to DC I find my thoughts returning to the Dan Deacon show last night at the Logan Square Auditourium. Simply put, it was amazing, like nothing I had ever seen before. The versatility that he displayed not only captured the feelings I have every time I listen to his latest album Bromst but took things to a level I didn't think was possible.

Versatile. The word continues to run through my mind as I begin to think about the food that I've cooked this week. Garbanzo beans are the embodiment of versatility. They can be a main course (falafel), a side dish, or a dip (love that hummus!). They can find their way into chili, soup, salad, and pasta. They can even be a dessert (I have not tried this dish so I can't vouch for it but it certainly sounds interesting). For my recipe of the week I worked the beans into a simple pasta. It's very quick and easy and doesn't require a lot of kitchen time. It would be great for a summer night when you want the stove on and off as quickly as possible. The recipe of the week:

Linguine with Zucchini and Chickpeas (adapted from Real Simple, July 2009)
(Printable Version)

-box of linguine (16 oz)
-2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
-4 small zucchini cut into thin circles
-salt
-1 15 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed
-2 cloves of garlic
-crushed red pepper to taste
-3/4 Cup of grated Parmesan cheese (3 ounces)

1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1/2 a cup of pasta water. Drain the pasta and return to the pot.

2. In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook until the zucchini is tender (about 6 minutes).

3. Add the chickpeas, garlic, and red pepper. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes.

4. Combine the pasta, pasta water, and 1/4 a cup of Parmesan. Toss until thoroughly mixed. Divide the pasta into bowls and top with the remaining 1/2 a cup of Parmesan.

Here is Mr. Versatile himself. All of these tracks (Woof Woof, Of the Mountains, and Padding Ghost) come from his latest album, Bromst, which was released in March. You can purchase it here. Pay attention to the hipster circle pit dance in Of the Mountains. That's some good stuff.







My favorite song off the album, Snookered, was part of the Can You Tell Me What's in This Mix found here.

7 comments:

  1. That looks delicious!

    I wanted to tell you that yes, the SF Marathon is around the same time each year. It is definitely one to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like something I ought to be able to put together from my garden and pantry. Will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very simple in the ingredients but the taste is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie, thank you. I will look into that for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey this recipe looks really good! I just bought zucchini yesterday, and have a can of chickpeas in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank-you!
    Another zucchini recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this looks so simple yet wonderful. I like this combo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete