Monday, May 25, 2009

Can you tell me what's in this mix: You say France and I whistle, T!Katz, Ice Palace, NASA, Ida Maria, Art vs Science, Dan Deacon, and more



In his book, In Defense of Food (a short synopsis is here if you haven't yet read it) Michael Pollan suggests that some of what we eat can no longer be considered food but more accurately "foodlike substances" because of the amount of science involved in creating them. Whatever the new trend in food intake, be it protein, omega 3's, low carb, artificial sweeteners, or acai speckled beatle dung, science has found a way to inject them into our cereals, pastas, frozen foods, and rices to make us "healthier." It's more science fair project, less nature's manna. Case in point:

textured vegetable protein, soy protein isolate, wheat gluten, wheat flour, iron, thiamine mononitrate, corn oil, corn starch, wheat starch, methylceullulose, artificial vinegar flavor, potassium chloride, garlic, sugar, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, natural and artificial flavors from non-meat sources, spices, tapioca dextrin, disodium inosinate, dried yeast, caramel color, maltodextrin, hydrolized soy protein, paprika extract, xantham gum, sodium alginate, cellulose gum, yellow corn flour, inulin from chicory root, onion, annatto extract, nonfat dry milk, dehydrated butter, sodium acetate, malic acid, baking soda, celery extract, wheat fiber, lactic acide, succinic acid, niacinamide, egg whites, citric acid, thiamin mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vitamin B12, tumeric.

Is this the recipe for a laundry detergent? Perhaps a list of components necessary to produce a weapon of mass destruction? The periodic table of elements? No, this is a short list of the ingredients in one of the foods I found in my freezer. I have no idea what half of the ingredients are and I can't pronounce one-fourth of them. That can't be a good thing, can it?

What has science and corporate America put into my food that someday may come back to harm me? I guess I'll just have to wait and see. While I do so, I'll put on June's playlist. It may not cure the cancer that years from now we find out is caused by pyridoxine hydrochloride but it can take the edge off the wait.

Track Listing:

You Say France & I Whistle-When Lover's Die
T!Katz-3 AM
Ice Palace-Thoughts/Ideas
Fight Like Apes-Something Global
Ida Maria-Queen of the World
N.A.S.A featuring Ol Dirty Bastard and Karen O.-Strange Enough
Kasabian-Fire
Interlude by Australian DJ
Japandroids-Wet Hair
Art Vs Science-Flippers
Fearless Vampire Killers-Fearless Vampire Killers
Dan Deacon-Snookered
Intro and Outro Instrumental-Fucked up-Golden Seal

Download Playlist Here

2 comments:

  1. Fyodor says to check out cat food ingredient lists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started too, but then my carpal tunnel kicked in so I needed something shorter.

    ReplyDelete