Monday, July 27, 2009

Why don't you just start a car blog? Smashed Potato Enchiladas, Shill, and Wussy

J-Fur and I planned on going to Tampa's premiere of Food Inc. this past weekend but the uninsured motorist from Daytona Beach who thought he could run through us instead of going around us foiled that one. Thankfully, no one was in the backseat or things could've been much worse.

Back View:

Side View:

As it was, too sore to run, too car less to drive, I turned to music and food to relieve the stress. The results? The recipe of the week...a smashing success.


Smashed Potato Enchiladas
(Printable Version)

-2 10 oz cans of enchilada sauce
-1/2 cup of salsa
-2 cups of smashed potatoes
-8 corn tortillas
-3/4 cup of chopped green onions
-3/4 cup of frozen corn kernels
-1 can diced green chilies
-1/2 cup of Monterrey Jack Cheese

1. Prepare the smashed potatoes. You may also use mashed potatoes or instant mashed potatoes.

2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

3. Spread 1 can of enchilada sauce over the bottom of a 9 x 13 rectangular pan.

4. Stir the salsa into the smashed potatoes. Mix well.

5. Spread a line of smashed potatoes down the center of each tortilla.

6. Sprinkle green onions, corn, and green chilies on the top of the smashed potatoes.

7. Roll the tortilla and place seam side down in the pan. Repeat until all ingredients are gone.

8. Pour the other can of enchilada sauce over the tortillas. Cover the pan with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes.

9. Remove the tinfoil and sprinkle Monterrey-Jack Cheese over the enchiladas. Bake an additional fifteen minutes (or until cheese is melted and starting to brown).

At this point it is time to eat away any neck, back, or mental pain.

At impact, the stereo in our car flew out of its cradle and ended up in our back seat. I'm still not sure how or why it happened considering we were hit from behind. The song playing? Shill's "Pick a Fight." I see a slight bit of irony here.



To express the conundrum I was feeling yesterday, happy to be alive, sore and a bit angry over what happened. I turned to Wussy's "Happiness Bleeds" which expresses the same type of paradox.



Just a reminder, August's playlist is coming this week!

12 comments:

  1. My gosh! That was scary! Glad to hear you're ok. The recipe sounds good. My son loves mashed potatoes and Taco Bell, so it should make him happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH wow, I always get scared around motorcycles on the free way. The pictures looks so scary! Thank God no one was in the back seat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thankfully you're ok! Very scary, indeed!

    Those enchiladas must taste great! An interesting version...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, you OK? That looks awful :/

    Those look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are ok...the car wasn't.

    Thrifty...I didn't think about it but it is sort of like combining mashed potatoes and taco bell.

    Thanks Rosa and Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god, that looks awful! Are you really ok? It doesn't bear thinking about. I can see why you turned to comfort food and what great comfort food indeed! I just need you to promise me one thing. Will you please try to wean yourself of the instant mash. You make such lovely food. It is just so wrong :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't touch instant mashed potatoes, I feel that mashed potatoes are the easiest food to make. I just offered that suggestion for people that are trying to save time. Of course, why are they trying to save time by coming here so I see your point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, hope you're OK.

    Great dish you made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smashed potato enchilada. Wow, very unique and it sounds great!!!!!

    Sorry about the accident, that looks awful. You should definitely feel grateful you're ok!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for the well wishes. The accident looks horrendous but both J-Fur and I managed to get out unscathed (aside from a cut on my arm and finger).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn, car accidents are everywhere in my life these days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're everywhere in ours too broseph.

    ReplyDelete