Saturday, May 9, 2009

Beating Like a Hammer (Open-Faced Tomato-Basil Sandwiches with Metric's Help I'm Alive)

Imagine slicing open, what appeared to be a beautiful tomato, and finding it full of tiny moving creatures. That's exactly what happened earlier this week while I was preparing tempeh BLT's. Needless to say the BLT's quickly became BS's (bacon and spinach). So it was with great trepidation that I cut into my second batch of tomatoes in order to prepare this week's recipe of the week Open-Faced Tomato-Basil Sandwiches. Like the chorus of Metric's Song, Help I'm Alive, my heart was beating like a hammer. I didn't want tomatoes to be ruined forever. As I sliced through the flesh my apprehension subsided, the inside allure matched its surface.

Recipe of the Week: Open-Faced Tomato-Basil Sandwiches (as seen in Veg Times, May/June 2007)
Printable Version

1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
3 Tbs. nonfat plain yogurt
4 English muffins, split
1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced

1. Blend basil, Parmesan cheese, olive oil and garlic in food processor or blender until well combined. Add yogurt, and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Preheat broiler. Place muffins on baking sheet. Broil 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Spread each half with basil mixture, and top with several tomato slices. Broil 1 to 2 minutes, or until heated through.

I doubled the garlic and basil because I like it strong. Magnificent.

Since I probably won't include it on any future playlists, here is the video for Metric's Help I'm Alive.

2 comments: