Thursday, June 3, 2010

Where we eat: Sweet Jane's Whoopie Pies sandwiched around Washington and The Constellations

Somewhere amongst the trees and anti-abortion signs, on the outskirts of Ocala National Forest, lies Sweet Jane's Candy Store. While the name of the store leads me to think of bins full of gummy worms and sour patch kids Sweet Jane's is nothing like that. When I walked in shoeless, I didn't immediately see candy anywhere (this doesn't mean that there wasn't any, it just wasn't the way I expected). Instead my eyes were drawn to the counter of whoopie pies. Ranging in flavor from chocolate and cherry to pumpkin and cream cheese this was a Pennsylvanian kids dream (I mean the Amish did invent the darn thing). To the left of the whoopie pie counter was a freezer that contained even more pies. These were stuffed with homemade ice cream rather than icing. It was a tough decision, all those glorious looking pies.

I went with the carrot cake option and I wasn't disappointed. Slightly dry, yes, but aren't most whoopie pies? Since my visit to Sweet Jane's whoopie pies have followed me everywhere. First it was my friend BH sending me a link to nine whoopie pie recipes that you'll absolutely love. Then EW insisted that her sister has the best recipe (though I haven't procured it yet). Finally it was some good ol' hockey trash talk that led to a whoopie pie bet on the Stanley Cup finals.

I blame all of this on Sweet Jane and her quaint little store. Check out Sweet Jane's Whoopie Pies (and possibly order some online) at her website.













Look at the spread at the beginning
of "Rich Kids" by Washington. Now imagine that spread with Whoopie Pies.



In less than three weeks The Constellations debut album, Southern Gothic, will hit stores. One of the tracks on this album is "Love is a Murder." Here is a live version of the song from a performance last year in Athens, Georgia. Thanks to Spin (cough, cough) for turning me on to them. I've listened to the track a number of times and am pretty sure they don't mention whoopie pies (although transpose blood with icing and wounds with whoopie pie in verse two and you know exactly what I'm talking about).

Sweet Jane's Candy Store on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. I can't beleive you walked into Sweet Jane's Candy Store in silver springs, florida and did not see any candy. You must be blind. The store has over 100 handmade chocolates made on site and well over 100 old fashion candy you ate as a kid. And Yes there are gummi worms. And the best carrot cake whoopie pies ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My suggestion wasn't that there wasn't candy there, just that I didn't see it like I saw the whoopie pies. I'll edit for clarification.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Sweet Jane would be grateful. She is a very hard working woman. I was in there today and she has just developed the best tasting Lemon whoopie pie with a creamy lemon frosting. Did you see her Ice cream Whoopie Pie's?. She even makes the ice cream herself. I know this artical upset her a little I will tell her to visit your site again and see what was said. Thanks Sweet Jane's #1 whoopie pie eating customer in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My intention was not to dismiss the other products but to pull out the whoopie pies as those are something you don't see too often in Florida. I love the idea of a Lemon whoopie pie with lemon icing. I did see the frozen ones.

    ReplyDelete