Monday, May 31, 2010

Just Beet it Mix: Doug Burr, City Riots, Braids, Fan-Tan, FLL, Hannah Georgas, Ten Bears, Terrible Feelings, Big K.R.I.T, L'egojazz and more

(pictured above, Citrus Tinged Beet and Goat Cheese in Phyllo. For the recipe click here.)

"Beets, bears, Battlestar Galactica."
-Jim Halpert (The Office)

Beta Vulgaris. The only thing more vulgar than the scientific name for a beet was it's smell (my grandma used to make them all the time, I wanted to vomit). I had plenty of opportunity to like beets. I read the beet manifesto (Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins). I watch The Office where one of the characters, Dwight Schrute, is mildly obsessed with beets. My friend HH has a beet tattooed on her side. I was even convinced by another friend, BH to put one in my mouth (I didn't enjoy it much). It wasn't until attending the wedding of one of my co-workers that I finally put a beet into my mouth and like the results. The groom, Bob, made a pastry using beets, goat cheese, phyllo dough, spices and a hint of orange. I probably ate ten triangles of this appetizer. Since then I've made a slightly modified version of this pastry twice. So this playlist, the Just Beet it Mix, is all about that. An ode to a stinky vegetable that has somehow wormed its way into my kitchen, despite its vulgarity.

Track Listing:

Doug Burr-A black wave is comin'
City Riots-She Never Wants to Dance
Braids-Lemonade
Spit Syndicate-Starry Eyed
Fan-Tan-On your wall
Gobble Gobble-Lawn Knives
Hannah Georgas-Bang Bang You're Dead
L'egojazz-Ovatime
Once A Pawn-Waiting
Ten Bears-Braces
Terrible Feelings-Hollow
Big K.R.I.T-Dat All
FLL-The Esplanade
The Streets on Fire-No ones Fuc*ing to the radio


Download Playlist Here

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh... Jim. Jim off the Office and Bobby Flay are my two TV crushes, hehehehe.

    And this recipe looks divine! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try it.

    (and in response to your q on my blog - the tomato tarts tasted great! Anything with tomato tastes good!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'da done "turn the beet around"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dionne-Thanks. I could see tv crushing on those two. I'm not surprised it tasted good, it certainly looked like it would.
    Anonymous-I considered it but then thought I'd cash in on MJ's death.

    ReplyDelete