Friday, July 22, 2011

Part 2: Newermind and Zuppa Bastard (the Food)

I think Zuppa means soup in another language. Even if it doesn't, I'm going to pretend it does. Zuppa Bastard, Bastard Soup. This soup is illegitimate. It came from another soup that may or may not have meant to spawn such an offspring but it just so happens that it did. It goes perfectly with Newermind and Part 1, illegitimate children to Kurt Cobain's empire as I'm sure he is rolling in his grave hearing some of the renditions that were put forth on Spin's tribute to his band.

As I mentioned in that post, what is the point of covering a song if you aren't going to add your take on it. I think recipes work the same way. I made this soup twice, once how I was told to do it by Mary over at One Perfect Bite (a great blog that throws down some mean dishes) and I made it a second time my way. Her's reminded me too much of Thanksgiving (sorry that is what sage does to me) mine more reminiscent of a summer beach trip to a place I can't afford and, more importantly, better in tune with what I like to eat.

Zuppa Bastard (adapted from One Perfect Bite)

-1/2 onion
-3 celery stalks, diced
-2 large cloves garlic, pressed
-3 cans cannelloni beans, drained
-3 cups veggie broth
-1/2 tsp thyme
-salt
-pepper
-baguette
-Parmesan Cheese (or leave it out for the vegan in you)

1. In a cast iron skillet saute the onion, celery and carrots for 8 minutes (or until softened).

2. Add the garlic and saute an additional minute.

3. Stir in two cans of beans, broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Simmer, on medium-low, for 10 minutes.

4. Slice the baguette into half inch pieces and toast in the oven. I like my slightly brown, take yours wherever you want it to go.

5. After the soup has simmered, use an immersion blender (or food processor) to blend it. Dump in the third can of beans to give it a little texture. Heat for another two minutes.

6. Place the toasted baguette (I went with three slices per bowl) in a bowl. Top with soup and Parmesan Cheese (if using). Quickly enjoy the illegitimacy.

Another track from Newermind: Telekinesis and his enthralling cover of "On a Plain."


The Original:

No comments:

Post a Comment