Sunday, July 10, 2011

Greasy Spoon Disco Fries Curdled by The Knux, Moustache of Insanity and Ohbijou

Luigi is this huge Italian guy I've been working with this summer. He took a recent trip to New Jersey for his grandson's confirmation. When he returned to work he spent a whole break (20 minutes) talking about all the glorious food he ate. One of the things he mentioned was combination dish of French Fries, gravy and cheese. Two years ago I would've said that is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard. But not the me of today. The me of today wanted to try it. Well, let me back up a second. I wanted to try it after my first idea, poutine, fell through. Poutine is a combination of french fries, gravy and cheese curds. It is basically something that only people in Wisconsin and Canada can make (go ahead, try finding cheese curds anywhere else). So I "settled" for Luigi's recommendation using fresh, still warm to the touch, fresh mozzarella from Mazzaro's.


Greasy Spoon Disco Fries

-4 potatoes, sliced into fries
-olive oil
-paprika
-onion powder
-garlic powder
-sea salt
-pepper
-fresh mozzarella, cut into small squares

1. Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Place fries in a metal bowl. Dump in olive oil (enough to coat all the potatoes), paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and sea salt. Toss the fries until they are completely covered with oil and spices. Taste the coating and adjust to your taste.

2. Place the fries in a single row on a baking sheet. Put into the oven and bake for twenty minutes. Using a spatula, flip and cook for an additional ten minutes on the other side.

3. Meanwhile make the vegan gravy.

4. When the fries are done. Top with gravy and fresh mozzarella. Place in your mouth and mingle with aplomb.

For the gravy: It begins with some guitar, tambourines drums and space sounds that scream indie rock. Next thing you know, you are knee deep in a poppy, hip-hop, mind bender that sounds like Outkast minus the shaking of a polaroid picture and....oh my god is that Kid Cudi? This is what New Orleans hybrid rockers the Knux have done in their most recent track "Run." Its the second single that they've released off their upcoming album Eraser (due out in September via Cherry Tree/Interscope).


For the cheese: I tried hard to be bored to death with "Lynn Lowry" by Moustache of Insanity. But every time I reached to turn the song off they slowly spat out something else that made me laugh. This song is me in the sense that I crave low budget, love mute girls, research past actresses on IMDB and can't turn away from zombie sex. I'm also an 8 bit man in a world of whatever bit video games are up to now.


For the Fries: Back in November of last year I interviewed Canadian band Loon Choir and they talked about bands that they had performed with. One of those bands, Ohbijou, have just released the opening track from their upcoming album. The track, "Niagara," dramatically shifts from singer-songwriter to classical to orchestral to indie rock without sounding forced or overdone. The album, Metal Meets, is due out in September via Last Gang Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment