Sunday, July 17, 2011

Food Pairing 101: What goes well with vegan peanut butter rice krispie treats?

This afternoon I watched World Cup Soccer while snacking on vegan peanut butter rice krispies treats. I used this recipe, jacked up the peanut butter and added a double shot of chocolate ganache topping from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. And to think I was under the impression that you had to use marshmallow to make these treats (which technically make rice krispie treats not even vegetarian). I thank my brother for showing me how wrong I was.

After the US lost and a second batch of the krispies failed I needed a song that would kick my temporary doldrums by telling me that everything would be ok. In comes Noah and the Whale and out go my blues. "L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N" is a laid back wavy tune with a joint spelling driven chorus and sing-a-longs that make me long for the classroom or a back porch gathering of Bloserville's finest. It also makes me forget about failed penalty kicks and subpar desserts for nearly four minutes. Oh, and ants too.


5 comments:

  1. Wait!!!!!! I have questions! How did you make them without marshmallows?? Corn syrup and peanut butter?? Recipe please! And do you love Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World? I have Veganomicon and love it. I have been eyeing the cupcake book but haven't decided to buy it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was molasses, peanut butter and brown rice syrup that kept them together. I do like it but don't get to make as much from it as I would like because J-Fur has such an aversion to vegan baked goods. I also have her cookie book and Appetite for Reduction and have enjoyed those as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make them with butter and golden syrup, no marshmallows involved and sometimes melted mars bars. Glad they are ok to eat again. Here is my recipe using the mars bars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like that you add raisins too. I am going to have to give that one a try next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumminess! I love Rice Krispies!

    ReplyDelete