Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwiches on top of New York Rifles

Once upon a time there was a happy monogamous marriage between peanut butter and jelly. The two went everywhere together, finished each others sentences and never wavered in their love. But then something started to change. Peanut butter became disillusioned thinking that the grass was greener somewhere out there. Pretty soon peanut butter started keeping the company of harlots such as marmite, sriracha, tomato, bacon and cool ranch doritos. There was even a rumor of a tryst with mayonnaise and lettuce...at the same time!

Thanks to the Bricks in Ybor my latest combination, when I'm not doing the blueberry jalapeno jelly I picked up at the u-pick farm, is peanut butter and dill pickle. Originally I started with store bought peanut butter and pickles but those sandwiches were a little too salty. So I decided to make my own.


Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwiches

-2 slices of your favorite bread (I like grain or sourdough)
-16 ounces roasted peanuts
-2-3 Tbs. peanut oil
-1 1/2 Tbs. agave nectar
-water
-dill pickles (I left the garlic out of the recipe)

1. Pour the roasted peanuts into a food processor. Process for thirty seconds. Add 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of peanut oil and the agave nectar to the processed peanuts. Turn the food processor on. As you continue to run the processor drizzle in the remainder of the oil. To help it reach my desired consistency I also added a little bit of water. You may want to add salt, I didn't.

2. Lay out the slices of bread. Slather one slice with peanut butter. Lay the dill pickles on the other slice. Press them together and watch the jelly turn jealous. Eat.

Since both peanut butter and pickles are so versatile, I needed some music that fit that mold. I needed something that was both east and west coast, something with starts and stops, extended woooahs, group sing-alongs, whispered lyrics with strange alien like sounds in the background, machine gun drums, LA name drops, hand claps and guitar solos. I also needed something that was fun as vinegarized cucumbers. Only one band could fit this bill, Portland's New York Rifles. Made up of Scott Young (vocals/lead guitar), Nate James (drums), Jamie Gould (bass) and Kari Schafer (back-up vocals/keyboard) the New York Rifles have two official releases, Faraway Faster on Empty Records and Make a Wish on In Music We Trust. Their sound is described as "The Stranglers of The Soft Boys, riding in the Cars, wearing X-Ray Spex, listening for the Undertones, and upsetting the Saints for touching the Buzzcocks, while high on X." Hear for yourself in "I know a Girl" and "Thinner."



1 comment:

  1. Delicious combo! http://www.youtube.com/user/catjoyyoung?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/Yco7hbUC1Ws

    ReplyDelete