Monday, May 16, 2011

Hottie Black Eyed Peas and Greens Simmered with Ninjasonik and Overlord

As our alien governor continues to do battle with the state's public education employees I figured it was time to reach to a higher power. Black-eyed peas and greens have long been a New Year's Day tradition in the South. The meal is intended to represent coinage (the beans) and bills (the greens). I figured why wait until New Year's to request prosperity. I mean most banks are closed that day anyway. The recipe I used came from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Appetite For Reduction which blends the beans and greens with tomato sauce, hot sauce, broth and liquid smoke to create a lively dish fit for any mendicant. As you can see, I added some garbanzos for rhyming effect.

As the greens simmered and the beans basted I moved to the moshing sounds of Ninjasonik. The band's new song "Mosh Pit" combines elements of electronica, hip-hop, punk and dance with lyrics of debauchery and getting crazy in the club (basically like a night out with Joy). "Mosh Pit," which features the production of Dutch DJ Crew the Partysquad, is from Ninjasonik's second LP due out September 20th.


For something completely different tap your toes to "Keep it From the Baby" the new video from Overlord. Don't be fooled, while the band name says metal, the music is much closer to indie pop than death. Their new album, In Soviet Russia my Heart Breaks You, can be listened to in its entirety at their soundcloud page.

2 comments:

  1. I did not know it was a New Year's Day tradition in the South. We eat so different here for New Year. That looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made anything with Black Eyed peas before. When I moved here to TX, they are in a lot of stuff, but before living here - I'd never even tasted one!

    ReplyDelete