Saturday, April 16, 2011

Record Store Postview: A Letdown (with pictures)

My two goals with Record Store Day 2011 were to get my hands on the limited edition Nirvana EP Hoarmoaning and Fucked Up's David's Town (a companion compilation of fake British bands to go with their upcoming album David Comes to Life). Despite checking out three record stores, I struck out on both. In the end I settled for the Bouncing Souls Live at Generation Records while J-Fur picked up Adele and a sub pop compilation (also disappointments as she was seeking the Fleet Foxes 7 inch).

To make matters worse, J-Fur didn't really like her cupcake (said it was too dry). At least my strawberry overload, though a tad sugary, hit the spot. Cupcakes were provided by Stephii Cakes, breakfast by Central Coffee Shop. The Devil Bunny just came along for the ride.



Here's a track from Fucked Up's fake compilation courtesy of Pitchfork. Animal Man-Do You Feed

Here is their second single "A Little Death" from David Comes to Life.
Fucked Up-A Little Death

Fellow record hunters what did you get?

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe I got up so early for nothing. I live in Tampa too and intended to get Nirvana as well.

    I also didn't like the arrangement of Daddy Kool (everything shoved together). I miss Vinyl Fever.

    sob.

    -Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seth-Is there are record store in Erie?

    I hear you Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there is a good one that I had just found a month or so ago...and I had recently checked to make sure it was a RSD participant (it was). I just usually count on hearing about the day as it comes nearer...I usually read about it in quite a few places in the day before. Nothing this year until I read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't make it out either, damn overnight shifts forcing me to sleep through the day.

    Was hoping to snag the Pearl Jam 7", covers albums from Deftones and Foo Fighters, the Lady Gaga 12", the 'Bleed American' reissue, 'Hoarmoaning', and probably the Decemberists for a Christmas gift.

    Also planned to snap every copy of the Guided by Voices tribute cd I could find, for using The Flaming Lips version of "Smothered in Hugs" over Local H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Seth, to keep an eye on it for next year, there's a Facebook page:

    https://www.facebook.com/RecordStoreDay

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard that cover this week. It is way too slow and uninteresting for my taste. The Local H is so much better. I don't think I even like the original as much as the Local H version.

    ReplyDelete