Monday, January 24, 2011

Lemon Turnover Topped with Tart Cherries and Galvanized with Blisses B. and Ruby Coast

It is science fair time for my class. I've seen a variety of different projects from vinegar testing in volcanic explosions to moldy bread to what type of liquid freezes faster. Strangely absent is any batteries involving citrus. Not to worry. After making this puff pastry dessert (and before eating it) I embedded a penny and galvanized nail into the frosting and connected it to a battery. Spot on! I ran my MP3 player for like three seconds. Nah, I'm just joking. I don't like to mix metal with my desserts.

Lemon Turnover Topped with Tart Cherries

-1 puff pastry sheet
-juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
-1 cup confectioners sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-4 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened
-1/8 cup butter, melted
-15 ounces tart cherry pie filling

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Lay the puff pastry flat, on a lightly floured surface, and allow to thaw.

3. Mix the lemon zest and juice with the sugar, vanilla, neufchatel cheese and butter in a mixer bowl. Turn the mixer on low and mix icing until it has a smooth consistency.

4. Roll the puff pastry out. Make it as thin as possible. Spread the icing over the entire puff pastry. Roll into a log, pinching the ends closed. Bake for 45 minutes.

5. Warm the cherry pie filling while simultaneously cooling the pastry (allow the pastry to cool twenty minutes). Slice and put the cherries on top.

Production of this pastry was accompanied by the free sounds of Blisses B and Ruby Coast. Blisses B is a quartet based in San Francisco that fuses aspects of indie, Americana, psychedelia and rock. They make me think of a group of ruffians that brought their surfboards to a roller rink and created a pile up during the slow skate. Blisses B sophomore album, Thirty Days Sixty Years was released back in November and you can download it for free from their soundcloud page (or listen to it all below):


Ruby Coast's debut is a little slower and denser than Blisses B. It is also more willing to hide under your bed. But...it is no less free. Again, grab it all at soundcloud and then spread the word to your Lutheran friends.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my freakin' gosh. I was craving cherries yesterday, and this is sooo perfect! I need to get some cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm this sound perfect! Lemon is my favourite flavour in baking and the tart cherries on top sound amazing! I'll have try this soon. Thanks for the great tunes, too!

    ReplyDelete