Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Food Pairing 101: What goes well with Pumpkin Ice Cream?

I've seen the posts by people around me...pumpkin cookies with chocolate chips (go JH), pumpkin bars (way to carve that baby CM) and pumpkin cakes and I can't help but feel a little twinge of jealousy. Baking, at this time, doesn't quite make sense in this Jekyll and Hyde climate that is Florida. One day it's chilly and it seems that Autumn has been ushered in and it is time to fire up the old oven and get to producing all those gems I've been sitting on. The next day sweat pours from my face like those long days that dot the summer calendar and I want nothing to do with said oven. So, I found a happy medium thanks to David Lebovitz. It is a recipe that fuses the best of the summer (ice cream) and falls finest (pumpkin). You can find David Lebovitz's pumpkin ice cream recipe here. I made no modifications to it. The pumpkin ice cream also marked the first time I used my new freezer proof ice cream storage container and I must say, I am quite happy (although when frozen, it can be a real ear ringer to open). Life in summer/fall land is good.

A combo that goes well with pumpkin ice cream is Crystal Castles and Robert Smith. I'm not a big fan of the two apart but when they join forces, it is something I can freeze my ice cream to.



Next on my radar...this, Refinery style.

3 comments:

  1. Must get an ice cream maker next summer. This ice cream sounds so good. Dreyers makes a pumpkin ice cream but since its not vegan, I can't eat it : [
    The weather was like that over here too. It almost reached 100 F..lately though, its been cool. Scary to think how hot it is for it being November.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love our icecream maker sooo much! We also just bought a waffle cone maker which I am so excited to use. Pumpkin icecream? Never tried it, but it sounds like a good experiment to try this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. J-Have you found any good vegan ice cream places or store bought versions?

    D-One of the best things I've gotten recently is the ice cream attachment for our mixer (and now the bowl that will protect it from frostbite).

    ReplyDelete