Sunday, August 15, 2010

What's Cooking with Marco Mahler?

Marco Mahler (originally mentioned in my fourth of July post) released his latest album, Laptop Campfire Speed, on June 29th. He sent me a copy of the album before I headed north (which is awesome considering it was a 16+ hour drive). I wasn't sure what I would get out of Laptop, having heard little of Marco's stuff. What I got was an acoustic album with lyrics that made me laugh ("Don't buy cows if you don't have the time") and instrumentation that I could really get into. You see, what makes Laptop Campfire Speed's music interesting to me, is those periods where Marco goes off the cuff and throws in some guitar plucks that push the rest of the instruments out off the way. The sound says "Hey! Pay attention to me, not the other stuff." (Case in point: "Don't Buy the Cows if you Don't Have the Time")

I caught up with Marco on my return to the Sunshine State and asked him to tell me a little bit about what he is cooking up musically.
As far as what I'm currently working on, I've been busy the past few months with marketing and promoting this new album. I've been posting one to three new free songs (new songs, alternate versions, live recordings, covers, etc) about every one to two weeks on my website, http://www.marcomahler.com, for the past several months. But I'm feeling a little exhausted now, so I'm not sure how often I will post new ones from here on out. I'm not sure what's next. Maybe a tour eventually.
After talking music, Marco and I turned to my other obsession, food. He suggested that two recipes that I might enjoy are his crepes (which he learned how to make in Switzerland) and chocolate cake (which he swears is a birthday cake favorite that kids and adults will enjoy).

You can purchase Campfire Laptop Speed from:
Bandcamp (directly from Marco)

Marco was nice enough to let me share two tracks for free. Both "Don't Buy the Cows if You Don't Have the Time" and "Beautiful Monsters" come from Campfire Laptop Speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment