Saturday, August 21, 2010

Lazy Man's Vegan Mu Shu Wraps Enveloping Rae Spoon and Paleo

Every once in a while I try to think of my life before tortillas. There was a time when I ate vegetarian hot dogs and sausages on rolls, grilled cheese on bread and eggs on english muffins. All of that changed when I began eating tortillas (the halfway authentic kind, not the crap that is sold in the refrigerator section at the grocery store). I have also taken to using tortillas with mu shu wraps. I know it isn't the same as the pancakes that mu shu is normally served on, but it is easy enough and I like it. Traditionalists, don't fault me for that.

Lazy Man's Vegan Mu Shu Wraps

-2 Tbs. sesame oil
-1 block firm tofu, cubed
-1/2 pound mushrooms
-1/2 head green cabbage. sliced thin
-10 baby carrots cut into circles
-3 green onions
-2 cloves garlic
-2 Tbs. soy sauce
-1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
-salt and pepper
-tortillas

1. Heat a skillet over high heat. Add sesame oil and tofu. Cook tofu until browned outside and chewy inside (about 12 minutes).

2. Reduce heat to medium high, add the mushrooms to the tofu and saute for 7 minutes. Mix in cabbage, carrots and green onions and cook another 4 minutes. Veggies should be slightly tender but still crisp.

3. Add garlic and saute for a minute. Add the soy sauce and vinegar. Stir the tofu and veggies until coated with sauce. Heat through for two minutes.

4. Warm the tortillas in the microwave or oven. Lay on a plate and top with veggies and tofu. Wrap the tortilla around the vegetables. Serve with hoisin sauce.

I cooked the Mu Shu wraps after a night of explosive dancing, hoping that they would aid my sore calves. I think Rae Spoon probably has an idea about what I was going through.


Last year I took a picture a day and I thought that was hard. Back in 2007 indie songwriter Paleo wrote a song a day. The feat, which he called The Song Diary, covered 152 cities and 54,434 miles. Fast forward three years and Paleo, who performs about 150 shows a year and lives out of his car (or with people nice enough to share space with him), is preparing for a new album, A view of the sky, on Partisan Records. The release date is set for Sept. 28. "World's Smallest Violin" is the second track on the album.

2 comments:

  1. MMmmmmmmm, that does sound good! Time for some lunch I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe! Perfect for a yummy lunch!

    ReplyDelete