Thursday, April 22, 2010

Solar S'Mores with Carl Fox and Bitches with Wolves

Happy Earth Day!

In my last post I talked about "cooking" with my class. I put cooking in quotes because most of the things we make are pretty basic, four ingredients or less. In that post I also mentioned how one of my favorite things to do for Earth Day is to make Solar S'Mores. Aside from eating the s'mores, my class' favorite part of the activity is making the solar oven from pizza boxes, recycled foil and plastic bags. To make your own solar oven use these directions here.

Today I tried a variation of s'mores for my own personal piece (marshmallows aren't vegetarian and I didn't feel like messing with fluff). I used graham cracker, peanut butter, and chocolate. It was like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Pie. Delicious. Here are some before and after pictures of my personal s'more.


Daevid loved his so much he got it all over his shoe.


Solar Peanut Butter Snacks
-1 graham cracker
-peanut butter
-3 squares of chocolate

1. Break the graham cracker in half. Smear one square of the graham cracker with peanut butter.

2. Place three pieces of chocolate on the other graham cracker piece.

3. Place in the solar oven for three hours during the hottest part of the day.

4. Get chocolate all over your face.

As we waited for the s'mores to finish I taught and sang songs in my head from Carl Fox and Bitches with Wolves.

Carl Fox is an Australian electronic/indie artist. His song "Chunky Rainbow" comes from his debut album which has the same name.

Carl Fox-Chunky Rainbow

Bitches with Wolves hail from Dublin, Ireland. I came across them on the Nialler9 blog. The blog is celebrating Irish music by running a series of guest posts by various people involved with the Irish indie scene who discuss their current faves. Una Mullally, an Irish journalist and promoter included Bitches with Wolves on her list. Thanks to Nialler and Una for giving me something new to sing while teaching.

Bitches with Wolves-Broken Hearts

2 comments:

  1. Solar smore=munchie city err munchie is a city. wait, both are acceptable.

    ReplyDelete