Thursday, April 15, 2010

Eggplant Stackers layered with Earl Greyhound and We Fell to Earth

My friend BH sent me a picture of her dinner a month or so ago. It was beautiful pieces of breaded eggplant stacked on top of fresh mozzarella and tomatoes. I received the email and downloaded the picture on my work computer. I've been using this computer a lot lately, finishing up projects at home, and every time I open it BH's beautiful dinner stares back at me. I finally got around to mimicking it this week, sort of. Turns out when I went to make it I had no tomatoes. Feeling no desire to return to the store I made do with all the extra tomato sauce that was waiting in our fridge for a time like this.

Eggplant Stackers
(printable version)

-1 Eggplant, sliced thinly
-1 cup of bread crumbs
-2 eggs, beaten
-4 oz fresh mozzarella
-tomato sauce
-4 fresh basil leaves

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2. Place bread crumbs in one bowl and eggs in another. Dip slices of eggplant in egg, covering the eggplant completely. Dip egg covered eggplant in breadcrumbs covering completely.

3. Line breaded eggplant on a baking sheet. Bake for fifteen minutes or until a fork easily pierces the eggplant.

4. Remove eggplant from heat and begin assembling stackers. Take a piece of eggplant and cover it with a slice of fresh mozzarella. Alternate eggplant and fresh mozzarella once more. Top with another slice of eggplant. Repeat until all eggplant slices are used.

5. Bake the stackers until mozzarella has melted (about 3 minutes). Cover with tomato sauce and basil leaf. Serve immediately.

Two days ago Earl Greyhound's new album Suspicious Package became available everywhere. Straightforward "hard" rock a la Led Zeppelin (though way better if you ask me), Earl Greyhound have no problems bringing it, infectious style. Don't believe me, just check out the drumming on the "Ghost and the Witness" and see if you can get it out of your head. You can download the song via Earl Greyhound's Myspace page. The band is currently touring the states with OK Go.



In a completely different vein is We Fell to Earth. They are to "hard" rock what steak is to a vegetarian. "Eerie, brutal, epic, shoegazing" are just some of the terms that music critics have used to describe these guys. I think this sums up "Deaf" pretty well.



Just a reminder that this Saturday, April 17th, is record store day. Get out and support your local record store and pick up some of the limited releases they have to offer. I'll be hitting up either Daddy Kool or Vinyl Fever depending on which side of the Bay I am on.

1 comment:

  1. we should totally be friends. your comment on my blog made me so happy :)

    p.s. do you follow pretty much amazing?? i love their blog for anything music-related.

    ReplyDelete