Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Fried Chickpea Patties on a Mediterranean Bed held together with Sidewalk Driver, Blastoids and Hot Chip

Chickpeas pale in comparison to Tetrapods. A recent discovery in Poland suggests that these four-legged vertebrates crawled out of the water 18 million years earlier than previously thought (dating them about 17,993,500 years older than chickpeas). As far as vegetables go though, chickpeas are one of the earliest cultivated ones.

A recent crop of chickpeas found their way into my kitchen and I decided to try my hand at frying them. This is no small task for me because when it comes to frying I usually wind up running out of the apartment with a burning pan and fire alarms burning. Thankfully it turned out well this time. Well enough for my recipe of the week:

Fried Chickpea Patties on a Mediterranean Bed
(printable version)

-1 15.5 oz can chickpeas, drained
-1/2 cup dried parsley
-1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
-1 garlic clove
-2 Tbs. flour
-olive oil
-1 package of mixed greens
-1 pt grape tomatoes
-3 oz feta cheese
-hand full of garlic pretzel chips (I used this brand)

1. In a food processor, combine the parsley, cumin, garlic, and chickpeas. Pulse until mixture binds together when gently squeezed. Form into patties and coat with flour. Remove excess flour by tapping the patties.

2. Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet. When the oil is hot drop the patties into it and cook until brown (about three minutes a side). Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and pat dry with a paper towel. Set aside.

3. In a serving bowl combine mixed greens, tomatoes, and feta cheese. Top salad with chickpea patties and garlic pretzel chips.

*I resorted to garlic pretzel chips after the dressing I made turned out horrific. The pretzel chips gave it a crunch and a strong garlic taste.

As I pattied up the beans I danced around my place to the sounds of Boston's Sidewalk Driver. When I first heard the unsigned bands song "Jenny Don't Really Like the Boys" (via Indie Rock Cafe) I didn't think much of it. But after a few listens I grew to appreciate the energy they put into their sounds. You can download the bands album For all the boys and girls for whatever price you name. Just follow this link.

Sidewalk Driver-Jenny Don't Really Like the Boys

Murfreesboro, Tennessee's finest band (I think?), the Blastoids released an album in September that features the track "Whonose." Great song. What makes the song (and album) even greater is the fact that you can download it for free via the Blastoids Myspace page. Thanks to I guess I'm Floating for getting my attention with this one.

Blastoids-Whonose

I also enjoyed the sounds of "I feel better" the auto-tuned single off of Hot Chip's upcoming album "One Life Stand." Even though the album isn't set for release until February 1st it has already been leaked via various sites.


1 comment:

  1. I would eat a plate like this anytime. Love anything with chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete