Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Peanutty Okra on top of The Slew and Satan Takes a Holiday

In order to prepare for our upcoming Christmas trip I have been tossing together some dishes using things that have resided in our freezer and refrigerator for a long time. That means lots of corn, vegetable stock, peas, frozen fruit and okra. The only dish worth mentioning is the Peanut Okra that I made this weekend (although the broccoli, corn and veggie stock is worth mentioning, not because it tasted great, but because I left it out in the Florida heat for twenty-four hours before refrigerating as a test to see how long the food could hold up in extreme conditions).


Peanutty Okra
(printable version)
-1-16 oz package of frozen okra
-sesame oil
-1/2 cup of chunky peanut butter (I used Crazy Richards)
-
1/4 cup of water
-1 Tbs of soy sauce
-1 tsp of lime juice
-1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
-1 Tbs of garlic powder
-1 Tbs. Sesame Oil

1. In a sauce pan mix peanut butter and water. Stir often until the peanut butter becomes sauce like.

2. Mix peanut sauce with soy sauce, lime juice, red pepper flakes, sesame oil and garlic powder. Stir until smooth and heated through. If sauce is too thick add more water.

3. Fry the okra in sesame oil until slightly browned (about 3 minutes). Divide onto plates. Top with peanut sauce. Eat.

Peanut Sauce tastes better when concocted over the rock-hip hop fusion that is The Slew. The band mixes one part Kid Koala and two parts ex-Wolfmother (Myles Heskett and Chris Ross). "It's All Over" is a political anthem from the recently released album titled 100% (purchase here).



I hate that I post so much Swedish music but what can I say, the Swedes know how to do it. My most recent addition to my MP3 collection was the band Satan Takes a Holiday. While their song is great "Missy" is great, Satan Takes a Holiday sends it to a whole other level with the video. I'm not the only one who recognizes STAH's greatness because the band has been nominated for a P3 Gold Award in the Best Rock/Metal category. The P3 Gold Award is a awarded annually by Swedish National Radio. STAH's debut, self-titled album is out now on I Made This Records. You can purchase it here.


5 comments:

  1. oooo.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7rbzA-2nqk&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. When he comes back it is time to dance...funny I had never watched the video for this song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, this is something I have never thought of. I would try it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never cooked with okra before. It's weird though, because I love the stuff - so I can't believe it's never crossed my mind to cook with it. Now I am on a mission.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't cooked with okra until this year...now I put it in chili, bread it, and douse it in peanut sauce. What can I do with it next?

    ReplyDelete