Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I left My Heart in San FranCrisco Mix: Phantogram, Magneta Lane, Red Mass, The Prairie Cartel, Whitley, The Walt, Swimming In Speakers, and more

I've never used Crisco, the hydrogenated cottenseed/soybean oil shortening that has been available since 1911, for baking. In fact, the only time I have ever used Crisco was for an experiment with my second graders mimicking whale blubber. As far as I am concerned, that is all it is good for, remaining outside of the body, not being ingested. But not everyone agrees. After gorging ourselves at Thanksgiving, my friend Sarah began contemplating making cookies. She was perusing recipes in a cookbook called "The Black Family Reunion Cookbook" and every dessert called for Crisco. She had it on hand in case the motivation struck her. As outdated as Crisco seems to me, somebody somewhere is scooping a handful of hydrogenated cottenseed/soybean oil shortening right now in preparation for Santa's arrival. Crisco scoopers, this playlist is for you:

Track Listing:

Two Door Cinema Club-I can talk (radio intro version)
Magneta Lane-Love and Greed
Red Mass-Saturn
Get Busy Committee-My Little Razorblade
The Cribs-We were aborted
The Prairie Cartel-No Light Escapes Here
Phantogram-When I'm Small
Whitley-Head, First, Down
Fucked Up-Neat Parts
The Walt-Happily Ever After
Theophilus London-Humdrum Town
My Cousin, The Emperor-A Long Way from Home
Montpelier-The Rafters
Swimming In Speakers-In Knowing
Jookabox-You Cried Me

Download Playlist Here

My favorite holiday cookie recipe which contains nary a trace of Crisco. These are called Reese's Peanut Butter Temptations and are wonderful fresh out of the oven or frozen. My mom is probably madly baking them at this very moment in preparation for my return home for the holidays.

11 comments:

  1. Dude. Prairie Cartel is awesome. A lot of good tracks on the album (digital or vinyl, no cd yet).

    Another warning about Crisco: if it's out of date, pitch it without thinking twice. Made some cornbread with it; the house reeked of... melted plastic mostly, and tasted just like it smelled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up. I'm feeling like some molten plastic cookies tonight. I might have to stop by the amish store and pick up some crisco. I didn't realize you were a fan of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never used Crisco before. I will have to give it a whirl some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I still have a schoolgirl man-crush on Scott Lucas. Besides Local H and Prairie Cartel, he's also been playing with some folks under the guise of Scott Lucas and the Married Men. Started up as solo acoustic demo stuff he put up on Myspace. I don't know if they've officially released anything yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to stay away from that stuff also. So many cookie recipes calls for Crisco. I try to choose the ones with butter. I'll have to try the PB temptations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of the stuff, it doesn't sound very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zack, stupid me, I knew Scott was in the band so I should've realized you would've checked them out. What's your favorite song?

    Jacqueline-It doesn't look very tempting either. Be glad you've never heard of it.

    Helene-If you like Reese's Peanut butter cups than this is the recipe for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard or seen the stuff, but I guess that's because I live in the U.K, but from what your sayiing good job its not sold here.

    I am curious to check out "The Black Family Reunion Cookbook", but again, living in the U.K I guess I won't come across it in bookstores here. Is it one you would recommend??? or maybe not as it contains the darstard crisco ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cookbook is interesting...it uses a lot of ingredients I wouldn't/don't use so I wouldn't recommend it but the owners seem to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty sweet mix.. Having trouble figuring out which tracks are who without complicated math and language skillzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't make it easy on you can I?

    ReplyDelete