Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Not Sure if it Works in Reverse but Blueberry Tarts Love the Avett Brothers

Normally when you give a new recipe creation to someone and their response is "Well...it looks good" I go back to the drawing board and start again. Not in this case. J-Fur wasn't very excited for my Avett Brothers Tart, named that because I made it right before their concert, but she doesn't do fruit desserts. If it doesn't have chocolate in it, there is a good chance she won't like it. The real tests came when I brought it to a faculty meeting and a pre-concert party. Unlike the tester in my own apartment, no one suggested that the only thing good about it was its visual appeal. They loved the taste. That was a great thing, otherwise I would've had a lot of tart to eat myself.











Ave
tt Brothers Tart (adapted from Real Simple August 2009)
Printable Version

-8 ounce sheet of Puff Pasty, thawed
-1 Tbs. granulated sugar
-1 Egg beaten
-4 ounces of neufchatel cheese
-1/4 cup of regular whipping cream
-1/2 tsp. of lemon zest
-2 1/2 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar
-1 Pint of Blueberries

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Roll out the Puff Pasty on a lightly floured surface. Create a 10 x 12 rectangle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put the puff pastry on top.

2.Using the tip of a knife cut a 1 inch border around the pastry, do not cut the whole way through. Brush the border with the egg. Sprinkle the granulated sugar around the edges. Bake until the puff pastry is golden (about 20 minutes).

3. Remove the pastry from the oven and recut the border of the pastry, do not cut the whole way through. Flatten the center of the puff pastry by gently pressing down on it. Let cool at room temperature for 20 minutes.

4. Using an electric mixer beat the neufchatel cheese until it is smooth. Add the whipping cream, lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar. Beat until smooth. Spread the mixture evenly within the borders of the cooled puff pastry.

5. Arrange the blueberries in a single layer over the filling. Cover the blueberries with the remaining half tablespoon of confectioners' sugar.

Serve to any fruit dessert aficionados. Apologize to the chocolate eaters.

I loved the combination of Lemon and Blueberry in this desert. I came across a cake that uses the same recipe for success on A Whisk and a Spoon. Haven't tried this recipe yet, but I plan to.

Obviously, as I worked on this dessert, the Avett Brothers were playing. I wasn't a big fan but agreed to go to the show after BTreotch, HJF, J-Fur, and Broseph vouched for them. They played at the Cuban Club in Ybor and the show was wonderful because of the energy they packed into their set and the way they got the crowd moving. I wish I had video or pictures of the audience bouncing up and down and swinging their arms in various mechanical dances but I left my cameras at home. Oh well, we'll just have to enjoy stuff that other people have captured. My favorite song, the one that really got the place bouncing, was "Kick Drum Heart" off their forthcoming album (and major label debut) I and love and you. The album is due in stores on September 29.



And here is a video for the title track and first single "I and love and you" from their new album. Much slower than "Kick Drum Heart."

7 comments:

  1. Your tart does have a lot of visual appeal. Bet it tasted good too! Looks pretty simple, I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the 'taste' support. I really did enjoy it. It is one of my favorite things I've made recently because of the blend of creamy, lemony icing and blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to eat tart every chance I get, as long as it meets my standards

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't watch these videos, as I am calling a moratorium on bands using the word 'Brothers'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just as long as books are still good because passing up on the Brothers Karamazov would be a crime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would expect nothing less from you Broseph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for tarts and Avetts!!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete