Monday, August 3, 2015

Food Pairing 101: What Goes Well With Portobello Fajitas?

I'm not going to sit here and make excuses about retreats, in-law visits and outlaw visits, non stop raining, trips to Capital Tacos, being locked in an office building with seven brains as my only means of escape, canvas buttons, flooded balconies, gigantic baked potatoes, culminating runs, Taco Bus, Burger 21, tortilla chips, blueberry muffins and Cappy's Pizza. I'll simply go on record as saying I didn't do an ounce of experimenting in the kitchen last week. In fact, if it wouldn't have been for these Portobello Fajitas, my kitchen time would've been nil.

These fajitas, which are based on the Poblano and Portobello Fajitas dished out at Minimalist Baker, came to be because I had an overabundance of flour tortillas in my pantry. For a few moments I contemplated going all authentic west coast and buying a matching set of corn ones to do these fajitas but then I figured Steven wouldn't be Yelping my kitchen so that was unnecessary. The only modification I made to Dana's version was to leave out all the spice. No jalapeƱos, no poblanos. J-Fur is total white washer when it comes to things of the heated kind. I upped the number of bell peppers (from 2 to 3) to keep the pepper to mushroom ratio in tact. I loved the inclusion of steak sauce for the mushrooms (make sure the sauce is vegan) because it reminded me a lot of the brilliant portobellos that Capital Tacos serves up on their Simon Pure. 

So Liv from Mystic Sons tells me that instead of traveling to some exotic country on her holiday break she prefers to "stay-cation" in London and press out a new Nadia Nair track. I guess I can relate, my entire vacation has been full of me completing various "labors of love." Nadia dished out one of my favorite tracks last year ("Beautiful Poetry") so I was all in on checking out her new one "Hardships." The song delivers lyrics in choppy broken bits reminiscent of the radio tracks that M.I.A has dished out. These are what stay front and center throughout. The production plays the minimalistic role, sort of Lorde-like in that sense. "Hardships" sees Nadia in her finest, genre bending form. She isn't afraid to experiment with styles and sonic fields to separate herself from the "It's all been done before" crowd. She's not really a pop artist or a psychedelic one. She doesn't do just world music or electronic. Nadia's tracks remind me of the center circle on the Trivial Pursuit board. Here,  anything goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment