Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Movie Food: Bridesmaids' "Bear" Sandwich Fondled by Red Sammy

J-Fur had been bugging people for weeks to go see the Bridesmaids movie. No one seemed interested. Her sister and I finally broke down last weekend and agreed to accompany her to the theater. I had heard very little about the movie, other than J-Fur telling me it was a comedy, so I didn't really have high hopes. I can't go so far as to say I was pleasantly surprised because I didn't like it all that much but I wasn't bored. I even laughed a few times. Since the movie revolves around a wedding it is only natural that there are a bunch of food related scenes. There is a restaurant excursion that leads to food poisoning in wedding dresses, a seductive nut eating stand-off and the typical I must make amends with baked goods even though my bakery experience was a failed one. The one that struck me as the most bizarre is the "bear" sandwich that appears during the ending credits. I decided to do my own interpretation of that scene, although mine was vegetarian and never made it fully into the bedroom.

Bridesmaid's Bear Sandwich

for the tofu:
-1 block of tofu, sliced into thin rectangles
-2 Tbs. vegetable oil
-1/2 cup flour, for dredging
-1/2 cup nondairy milk
-1/2 cup fine cornmeal
-1/2 cup flour
-1/4 cup nutritional yeast
-salt and pepper, to taste
-garlic and onion powder, to taste
-pinch of cayenne

for the pesto:
-1 clove of garlic
-1 cup basil leaves
-1 Tbs. pine nuts
-pinch of salt
-1/4 cup olive oil
-Parmesan Cheese

for the sandwich:
-provolone cheese
-baguette

1. Heat the vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet. Mix the cornmeal, 1/2 cup flour, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne in a metal bowl. Place milk in a second bowl and remaining flour in a third bowl.

2. Dredge the tofu slices by placing them first in the flour, second in the milk and ending with the seasoned flour. Drop into the oil and fry until golden on each side (about five minutes). Place on a paper towel lined plate and set aside.

3. To make the pesto, drop the garlic in a moving food processor. Add the basil, pine nuts and salt and pulse until pine nuts have been reduced to small chunks. Scrape the sides down and add the olive oil. Transfer to a bowl and grate in Parmesan. Mix.

4. Create the bear sandwiches by slicing the baguette down the middle. Spread the pesto on one side of the baguette. Top with tofu slices, provolone and the other baguette. Growl in an animalistic way before eating.

I would doubt that Red Sammy loves sandwiches as much as the characters in the movie but their sounds go fit perfectly with the construction of a "bear" sandwich. Think of the twangy graveyard alt-country music as the bread with the raspy lyrics serving as the filling. Both "It Ain't You" and "Cactus Flower" didn't immediately strike my fancy. But the more I played them, the more I warmed. Eventually it got to the point where I was seeking them out. Both tracks can be found on the band's new album A Cheaper Kind of Love.



5 comments:

  1. Now you made me curious about the movie. Only one way to satisfy that kind of curiosity. Perhaps this weekend. I hope you have had a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this movie, but I have heard mixed reviews. I think I will wait for it to come out on DVD.

    meanwhile, this sandwich sounds great!

    PS. You won the Celina Mancurti giveaway on my blog! Woo hoo! Can you email me your mailing info to spotty_zebra@hotmail.com ?

    Do you still want the tablecloth and matching napkins with the chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can wait until the DVD comes out, especially if your movie theaters are expensive as the ones around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good, but for those who have seen the movie, that scene really doesn't exactly give you an appetite, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's why I had to wait a few days before making the sandwich. Had to get my appetite back.

    ReplyDelete