Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pasta Ponza breaded with Cory Chisel, Clock Hands Strangle and Retribution Gospel Choir

This week was marred with bad kitchen decisions, a fresh cut on my finger from my new knife, exploding ravioli and not enough liquid. Thank god for my friend Becca who sent me a link to Giada De Laurentiis' pasta ponza recipe. That made everything better. I followed this recipe pretty close only altering the tomatoes (I used two pints of grape tomatoes) and Pecorino Romano (I used Parmesan instead). I even included capers, which I have had an aversion to ever since I had to stir-fry them at work five years ago. The smell of stir-fried capers can be nauseating.

As I greased the pan with butter and breaded the pasta I enjoyed the tangy sounds of Cory Chisel & the Wandering Sons, Clock Hands Strangle and Retribution Gospel Choir.

Cory Chisel and the Wondering Sons are a gospel sounding band that have made a lot of waves in the past few months. Rolling Stone magazine voted them as one of their top new artists of the past year and the song "Born Again" made a lot of 2009 year end lists. I may be new to his game but I am certainly ardent.



Clock Hands Strangle is a relatively local band (Melbourne is close enough) who recently performed at New World Brewery in Ybor (of course I missed it). They have danced on one of my favorite local access shows (Chicagogo). Vocally, their song "Distaccati" reminds me a lot of Modest Mouse.

Clock Hands Strangle-Distaccati

Retribution Gospel Choir from Duluth, Minnesota, just released their second album (appropriately titled 2) on Tuesday. They are currently touring the East Coast/Midwest of the US in support of the album. Later dates include Europe and the Western US. "Hide it Away" is the first track on the album and is perfect for pasta making to.

Retribution Gospel Choir-Hide it Away

5 comments:

  1. Chicagogo is an awesome name for a show

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the link to the pasta! I would really like to try that one...things are getting hum-drum in the kitchen. Isn't that the "mot-sa-RE-lla" lady? as in that's the only word she says with Italian pronunciation?

    Also, thanks for posting the Cory Chisel link with whatever player was used; I actually got to enjoy it at work, because everything else is always filtered. Dumb internet filter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Notes-I'm with you on that one. I even call Chicago that sometimes to my second graders and they just stare at me like I'm crazy. It is such a fun word to say.

    Jake-I'll keep that in mind when posting videos. The pasta is really good and no "mot-sa-RE-lla" for non italian Italians.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this as "pasta ponzi." Like a noodle-based pyramid scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pasta can make anything better, at least in my book. I have some fresh dough in the fridge at home just waiting to be turned into something comforting after a crappy week. Thanks for reminding me I had it to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete