Thursday, October 22, 2009

Vegetarian Osso Buco with Mushrooms, Asparagus and Penne: Washed down with Sian Alice Group, Baroness and the Protomen

The past few nights (while watching the Phillies pound the Dodgers) I caught the same commercial over and over again. I didn't pay enough attention to know what product was being pimped but I do remember that the ad is based on numbers. Ridiculous numbers. Like the longest standing ovation was 90 minutes long (glad I wasn't present for that). This weeks recipe of the week is also based on ridiculous numbers. Twenty-four. Like twenty-four ingredients in the dish. I found the recipe in a Vegetarian Times a year ago and even though the picture looks fabulous, I have avoided it because of the number of ingredients. I don't cook with much more than twelve so doubling that makes me break out in hives. I finally forced myself to make it, with a few modifications, and am glad I did. My life would be a little less fulfilled (and less ridiculous) without Vegetarian Osso Buco with Mushrooms, Asparagus and Penne in it. My recipe of the week:



Vegetarian Osso Buco with Mushrooms, Asparagus and Penne-
adapted from Vegetarian Times Oct. 2008
(printable version)

For the Osso Buco:
-1 Tbs. Olive Oil
-1 Tbs. unsalted butter
-2 stalks celery, diced
-1 onion, diced
-2 cups carrots, diced
-3 bay leaves
-1 Tbs. thyme
-1 Tbs. oregano
-1 Tbs. parsley
-6 cloves of garlic, minced
-1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
-1 6 oz. can tomato paste
-1 package of veggie chicken strips (I used Morningstar)
-2 cups of veggie broth
-2 tsp. grated lemon zest

For the Asparagus, Mushroom and Penne
-1 Tbs. olive oil
-1/2 Tbs. unsalted butter
-1 onion, diced
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1 lb. asparagus spears cut into thirds
-6 oz. of mushrooms (I used cremini, porcini, and portabello)
-1 box of penne
-grated Parmesan cheese

1. For the Osso Buco: Combine olive oil and butter in a pot and heat until butter has melted. Add celery, carrots, onion, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, and parsley, and cook until vegetables are tender (about 12 minutes).

2.Add garlic to the pot, sautéing for 2 to 3 minutes. After garlic becomes fragrant, stir in tomato paste and tomatoes. Cook an additional 5 minutes.

3. Add fake chicken, broth, and zest. Simmer until sauce thickens and veggie chicken is heated (about 25 minutes).

4. For the Asparagus, Mushroom and Penne: Combine olive oil and butter in a saucepan and heat until butter has melted. Add onion and sauté until translucent.

5. Add garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Add asparagus and mushrooms. Sauté until mushrooms begin to release their juice.

6. Add box of penne and cook until lightly browned (about 3 minutes). Stir in 2 cups of water and simmer until liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding water 1/2 a cup at a time until pasta is soft. Top with Osso Buco and Parmesan Cheese.

Since this recipe took more time than normal I relied on a number of six minute plus songs. In the past their length would have turned me off but just like with the pasta's ingredient list, I got over it. The first song "Close to the Ground" is a dreamy piece composed by London's Sian Alice Group. It makes me think of both insects chirping and old school video games beeping. Clocking in at 7 minutes and 35 seconds it is the longest of the bunch. Here is the official video released for the song.



Baroness' Record, Blue, came out on October 13th and debuted at number one on Billboard's Heatseekers chart. "Swollen and Halo" is the first single from it.



"Breaking out" by the Protomen includes a catchy piano intro, a Mike and the Mechanics sample, and a v-shaped guitar. That's the kind of stuff that gets my carotid artery pumping. Here's a video of the song live at 12th and Porter.

3 comments:

  1. Although it has a lot of ingredients, it doesn't look overly difficult. And it looks wonderful!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks great! I would leave out the veggie chicken though, I am a bit squemish about things like that. But apart from that, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't come across many recipes that has 24 ingreadients. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete