Monday, March 8, 2010

Florida Strawberry Festival Foods Dipped in BBU, Ivy St and Class of Kill 'em High

For the seventy-fifth year in a row, Plant City is celebrating their wonderful berry crop with a festival. The Florida Strawberry Festival (which ironically enough takes place on Lemon St.) is one of the top 50 fairs in the United States. Aside from the typical fair cuisine (think anything, add frying to it, and you'll find it here) the festival has many strawberry dishes. Some of what we devoured:

Strawberry Kabobs

Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Strawberry Lemonade

Strawberry Shortcake

Build Your Own Strawberry Shortcake with homemade whipped cream

On our 45 minute drive to Plant City I entertained J-Fur and her sisters (who are visiting from Pennsylvania) with Chicago's BBU (originally mentioned here). Their follow up to "Chi Don't Dance" might be a little sloppy and rushed but it still catches my attention. Catch these guys at SXSW. Also check out their free mixtape, Fear of a Clear Channel Planet, which dropped on March 1st.

BBU-BB Who?

They were a blues influenced rock band that broke up. Then they carried on as solo act for four years. The latest incarnation of Class of Kill 'em High was formed last summer. We may have no idea what's up next for the group, but I like what is here now.

Class of Kill 'em High-Ultima Hombre

Tasmania's Ivy St put out their debut album Picture Machine last year. While not a fan of tripe, I am certainly a fan of those who produce it (especially if it is as raw and punky as Ivy St makes it out to be).

Ivy St-The Producers of Tripe

4 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE strawberries. Sounds like the perfect way to spend the day!

    (in response to your comment on my blog - those cupcakes are Hummingbird Cupcakes. It's a Southern recipe, and they have carrot, banana, lemon zest, orange zest, marmalade and vanilla in them.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the strawberries...must have! They look great. Which reminds me of a fest I've never been to, but I think that's going to change. It's called the Poteet Strawberry Festival, I think it's just outside of San Antone somewhere. I'd have to google it. Nice pics! And unfortunately, my dumb net filter at work won't ever let me hear the tunes on your posts. I have to remind myself when I get home. Thanks,
    jake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dionne-Wow...carrot, banana, lemon, and orange? I'm liking that.

    Jake-It took us a number of years to make it to this strawberry fest but in the end, it was well worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drove through Plant City en route to Tampa many times. They have the best strawberries. Thanks for the memory. :)

    ReplyDelete