Saturday, January 2, 2010

Year End Post with Song Awards and Tortellini With Pine Nuts

J-Fur and I spent New Year's Eve in Bethlehem, PA with my friends Jen and Brad. The four of us visited my favorite vegan dessert shop (Vegan Treats), cooked up a nice dinner (Tortellini with Pine nuts, artichoke dip and yucca fries), played Smart Ass, listened to the countdown on WEQX and watched the Peep drop. Afterwords I did a solo polar bear plunge and fell down a flight of stairs. What a way to ring in 2010.


J-Fur's Vegan Tandy Cake


My Vegan Triple Berry Cheesecake


The Peep, after it had been dropped.

Tortellini with Pine Nuts
-1 lb. tri-colored Tortellini
-1/2 Cup of Pine Nuts
-4 oz of favorite Pesto (I like this one)
-1/2 Cup of Parmesan*

1. Cook Tortellini according to package directions. Drain.
2. Meanwhile toast pine nuts in a skillet for one a few minutes.
3. Mix together toasted pine nuts, pesto, tortellini and cheese in a bowl.
4. Serve

*I have also made this recipe with a combination of Parmesan and mozzarella, asiago or romano cheeses and enjoyed it.

I have forsaken the year/decade
best of lists that a lot of people are doing in favor of an awards type format. These are some of the songs I enjoyed the most this year and the award I feel they've earned.


Best song from a band named for a geographic region:
The Middle East-Blood




Best acoustic version of a song that references something found in my brothers tool belt:
Metric-Help I'm Alive



Best song about burden divesting: The Decemberists-The Rake's Song



Best cover of a song you might find on the radio: Port O'Brien-Halo



Best song to sing while down on your knees before going to bed:
Solander-Prayer to God




Best song that mentions abortion and masturbation:
The Cribs-We Were Aborted




Best song by a band named after a sport:
Hockey-Too Fake




Best song about dieting:
Los Campesinos-The Sea is a Good Place to think of the Future




Best song named after a game my grandmother loves to play:
The Big Pink-Dominoes



Best song by a band with a not politically correct name: Jay Reatard-Ain't Gonna Save me




Best song by a band named for the solid state of water:
Ice Palace-Thoughts/Facts



Best song by a band named for a Japanese warrior: Samuraj Cities-Spoonful of Talk



Best song named after a fish: Dan Deacon-Snookered



Best song about monsters: We Were Promised Jetpacks-Quiet Little Voices




Best song about dying lovers: You Say France and I Whistle-When Lovers Die



Best literary reference in a song: Bell x1-The Great Defector


Regular postings will pick back up next weekend. Until then, enjoy yourself.

3 comments:

  1. hmmm......after a quick listen to The Middle East, I'm surprised....don't they sound a but like Fleet Foxes? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer suggested the same thing. They don't sound like they are singing in a church, that's the big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Decemberists' video, especially the paper trees

    ReplyDelete