Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Tailgating with Black-eyed peas and Kimchi, Casa Murilo, Ice Dwarf, Fait Accompli and Fair Ohs

Sunday was a big day for a lot of Americans. It marked the return of tailgating, body painting, wacky costumes, and obnoxious vitriol geared towards opposing teams. In short, NFL football was back. I'm not much for doing what everyone else is into, call it my having a mind of my own syndrome, so my tailgating would not consist of hamburgers and hot dogs, slabs of beef, beer, and bad 80's music. My tailgate party would look something like this:

Food: Spicy Black-Eyed Peas with Kimchi (nothing says American football quite like Kimchi)

Drink: We'd be sucking down chocolate milk, watermelon lemonade, or Gatorade (what can I say I've had a weak spot in my heart for that stuff ever since I dumpster dove for a washing machine full of it in Chicago)

Music: Something nice and foreign like Casa Murilo, Fair Ohs, Ice Dwarf or Fait Accompli.

Spicy Black-Eyed Peas with Kimchi
(adopted from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian)
(printable version)

-2 cans of black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
-2 tablespoons of dry white wine
-2 tablespoons of sesame oil
-2 cloves of garlic
-6 cups of kimchi
-1/4 cup of soy sauce


1. Combine the wine, sesame oil, kimchi, garlic, soy sauce, and beans. Cook covered for about 40 minutes (or until most of the liquid has been absorbed).

Pretty simple recipe, that's the reason it works so well for a tailgating party.

Last month's M.A.P post wasn't as good as previous ones, but that doesn't mean I didn't find some gems amongst it. One of those was Casa Murilo and their song "19th Floor." Casa Murilo currently makes music from their homebase in Norway, but they are actually Englishmen who met in Brazil. They were submitted to the pact by Eardrums blog.

Casa Murilo-19th Floor

The Fair Ohs are from the UK and, according to their myspace page are "Like Paul Simon but, you know, punk." The song "Summer Lake" is from an upcoming release on Sex is Disgusting.

Fair Ohs-Summer Lake

Rock music that tries to be grandiose annoys me. Music that contains very little lyrics bores me. One would think that Ice Dwarf (from Israel) wouldn't stand a chance. Yet, for some reason, I downloaded their album and haven't yet deleted every track from my computer. That should mean something.

Ice Dwarf-Hakaloot

Australia's Fait Accompli has a debut album coming soon. "Ride" is the first track off of this release. At least on this track, they sound a lot like an American Band that blew up last year. Let me know if you hear it too.

Fait Accompli-Ride

3 comments:

  1. My husband is happy that football is back. Someday we'll go to a match in the States. Must be so much fun. He would go for the game, I would go for the tailgaiting part of it. Those Spicy Black-Eyed Peas with Kimchi
    looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Fair Ohs sound intriguing. Have to check into that. Can't imagine a punk Paul Simon. My son had a punk band and it definitely didn't sound like Scarborough Fair!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the black-eyed-peas look great. I have been search for some new ideas for our wonderful tailgate in Kentucky!

    Kentucky Tailgating

    ReplyDelete