Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Momotaro, Polvo, Peaches, and Crisp

One of the literary heroes that I like to introduce my second graders to is a boy named Momotaro (the card to the right features a likeness of him and was designed by Kimiko Shiga). Momotaro is a Japanese hero whose name is usually translated to mean Peach Boy. He is called this because legend has it that he floated down from heaven in a peach. There is an older, sexier version of why he is referred to this way, but for obvious reasons I don't share that one with the kids.

Why do we talk about Momotaro? There are a couple reasons. First, it gives them a hero they can relate to, not a muscle bound, web flinging, flying one, but a kid just like them. Second, it gives me the opportunity to bring in peaches for everyone to enjoy. After all, they are such a wonderful fruit.

I enjoy peaches plain, fresh off the back of the farmer's truck. But occasionally I want something else from these Japanese symbols of fertility. In those instances I bake up a delectable peach crisp which is perfect for midsummer through early fall.

Momotaro Peach Crisp
Printable version

-4 peaches
-2/3 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup all purpose flour
-1/2 cup oats
-1/2 cup walnuts
-3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-3/4 teaspon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup of unsalted butter softened


1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Peel and slice the peaches. Arrange in greased square pan (8x8x2).

2. Mix the remaining ingredients and sprinkle over the peaches.

3. Bake until the topping is golden and the peaches are tender. Serve warm. Top with ice cream, if you desire.

My advice is to try to make this crisp last more than one day. J-Fur and I are always unsuccessful.

Recently reunited noise rock band Polvo have leaked the first song off their new album, In Prism, which is due out in September. How appropriate, the song is titled Beggar's Bowl.



I know the video for her new single "Lose You" has been in the blogosphere for a little over a month, but is there a better artist to include with a peach cobbler than Peaches?

9 comments:

  1. You sound like a great teacher! Didn't know peaches were a fertility symbol. Maybe that's why I ended up with so many kids?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude...why have you kept this blog a secret from me???? It's great! And how about the Peach song "You Lied"....that rules!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the video...I've been slowly making the rounds with the blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. how long has it been here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Started it in April. I posted stuff cryptically on MS and FB. Only recently have I become more bold with it. Thanks for linking by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressed! Very, very impressed! I love the idea for your blog and have already picked up a band I want to follow (We Were Promised Jetpacks) and have drooled over a few of your recipes, especially the Portobello Sliders. I am more into the punk, hardcore scene, but don't mind a bit of indie too and the fact you like Pratchett is an added bonus, so I will be back to visit. Adding you to my bloglist now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for commenting on my blog!

    Peach cobbler + Peaches = A blog I will definitely be checking out more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Something as wonderful as peaches should be displayed prominently...

    ReplyDelete