Sunday, October 4, 2009

Orange-Chocolate Flourless Cake baked into a Bitter Orange. Arranged by Salem, The Middle East, and Electric Tickle Machine

A few little known facts about Florida Oranges:

*Florida citrus is typically 25 percent heavier than citrus grown outside the state
*More than 90 percent of Florida oranges will be squeezed into juice.
*Oranges grown on the south side of a tree will be sweeter than those grown on the north.
*The earliest groves grew up around the sea ports of St. Augustine and Tampa
*I have yet to drive a day, since moving to Tampa, without passing an orange tree
(facts courtesy of Grandmaberries.com)

Despite the fact that oranges are all around me, I rarely eat them. I don't like peeling the skin, hate picking them out of my teeth, and can't stand the juice making me all sticky. So it was strange that when I came across this Cake Spy post for cake baked into an orange that I felt like I needed to make something like it. J-Fur wanted flourless chocolate cake, I wanted to stuff an orange. The rest, as they say, is history.


Orange-Chocolate Flourless Cake Stuffed in an Orange
(printable version)

-5 clementines
-2 medium sized oranges
-6 eggs
-heaping tsp of baking powder
-1/2 tsp of baking soda
-1/2 cup of ground almonds
-3/4 cup of white sugar
-4 ounces of bittersweet chocolate

1. Scrub the clementines well. Place them in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cooke for 2 hours. Drain the pot, cut the clementines in half and remove the seeds.

2. Put the clementines, skin and all, in a food processor. Puree.

3. Beat the eggs, sugar, baking soda and baking powder together in a small bowl. Add to the pureed oranges. Mix.

4. Add the ground almonds and chocolate to the food processor. Mix until you have what looks like a cake batter.

5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 10-inch springform pan with parchment paper.

*6. (I did this when I made the recipe. I would advise skipping this step because the final product was very bitter). Cut the top off of the other two oranges and scoop out the insides. Pour in cake batter to the top of the orange. Put the cut off top back on. Wrap in tin foil and put on a cookie sheet.

7. Bake the cake for 1 hour (or until a fork comes out clean). If the top begins to get too brown halfway through, cover loosely with foil.

Top with whipped cream and shovel greedily into your mouth.


While baking the cake I played a number of songs that barely missed being included on my most recent playlist. The first was "Frost" by Salem. "Frost" comes from the bands two song single on Audraglint Records. It is a very limited release (only five hundred copies are available). Salem hails from Traverse City, Michigan. Thanks to Gorilla vs Bear for this find.



Way back on May 18th, I guess I'm floating blogged about the debut LP from Australia's The Middle East (I didn't come across the post until the beginning of September). Included on that LP is the super catchy "Blood." I may have arrived late to the game, but I still got there.



The only thing I can say about the Electric Tickle Machine is that their name is just about as fun as their music. Thanks to Indie Rock Cafe for turning me on to "Part of Me." (Imagine how hard it was to drop the cake batter into the orange with this highly danceable song playing).